Chapter 1

Nathan's POV:

2:50 p.m.

It was just a normal snowy February day and my dad and I were just hanging out at Mugs coffee shop. At first it was going well until the tragedy struck like a flash of lightening.

After gulping down hot cups of coffee, we left the shop at about 2:50 so that we could go to the mall to get mom her favorite mitten (she had seen it in Women's Daily). She had worried dad for over two weeks for it because Dad had been giving her flimsy excuses. When I was younger, I told dad that I didn't want to get married because of what Mom was doing to him. He only laughed and said nothing else.

We were only a few steps away from the Red Bird when a car drove with full speed in front of us blocking the rear of our car. It was given to him by his dad three years ago on his birthday.

I loved the car because it had a super loud stereo and warm leather seats which made you want to snuggle up in them forever. I pressed my finger against my pulsating eardrums trying to block off the screeching noise it made.

I backed away and stood beside Dad clutching his hand for protection and cover. One guy got out of the car and headed was heading towards us. He was tall and wore a loose black leather jacket and ripped jeans. He had full dark hair which slipped to his scalp from the rain and beard which fringed his long edgy face. He buried his cold hard stare at Dad's face as if he was a disgusting bag of dirt he just wanted to kick off.

I held his hand tighter and tried to look away from the scary man that was approaching us. As he stepped foot by foot in the ice, his heavy leather boots made crunching sounds. The rain that was falling softly from the pale blue sky stopped and I was glad that it had stopped falling because I was already turning into frozen fish.

"Who are you and what do you want from us!!" Dad yelled and his loud voice echoed around the still cold air till it dissolved into space. I wasn't afraid then that I knew I had my Dad to defend me but I still felt feelings of fear laced between the thin fabric of hope. The man stopped abruptly and laughed. It was a loud throaty laughter and it made me want to rush at him and rip his throat in half.

"Listen mister, I'm not here to play silly games with you and I'm not here for your stupid questions either, I was sent here to do something...something I don't wanna talk about because, trust me, you wouldn't wanna know" he paused for a second to look at me then a smirk was plastered on his face. I felt my face redden with anger that I looked like I was about to blow into a thousand tiny molecules.

"Come here" he said and gestured to me to come up to him from my cover behind Dad. He was about to hold me back when I gave him a look that said I can handle it Dad . He looked at me as if I was losing my mind then let me go.

I stopped in front of him and looked him straight in the eye. I didn't know where the guts came from but I was happy that it did. "Just leave us alone and get back to where you came from!, and go tell whoever sent you to us that your mission has been aborted!!" I spat in a partly bold and partly terrified voice with my fists clenched ready to take action.

He shrugged and eyed me from head to toe. Before I knew it, he reached for my neck, grasped it and started strangling me so hard I could barely breathe. His grip was so strong around my neck and I could feel my heart beating and my lungs losing every bit of oxygen I had.