06

TW: angst, foul language, blood/gore, scenes involving torture, and mentions of sexual assault.

Just an FYI, this chapter will mostly be dialogue but it's all essential to the plot, I promise!

Also, ryokai shita means "understood" in Japanese

Enjoy friends xoxo

It was storming in Konahagakure.

The cumulonimbus clouds, a cluster of gray and black hung low like a bad omen as heavy rainfall scattered the enlarged premises of the village. No one would be outdoors today.

It was the vociferous clap of thunder that ripped Uchiha Sasuke from his prolonged state of dormancy. Eyelids fluttering open, the patriarch was met with the empowering sensation of loss, guilt and emptiness, along with the vibrant, diaphanous ceiling lights of the hospital. He scanned the room, finding the chairs settled a few feet from the bed to be completely empty, and he was unable to flout the kernel of disappointment and forlorn he endured at the realization that his wife and daughter would never be there to occupy those seats; would never be present as he recovered from his injuries.

Sasuke made an attempt at sitting up, only for him to clutch at his abdomen with his single arm, a pained hiss rolling off his tongue as his scrambled mind recalled the events that took place. Sasuke wasn't sure how long he had been unconscious, but he vividly remembers taking a hit that was meant for Sarada, one that rendered him completely defenseless. He commemorates a severely wounded Uzumaki Boruto and Mitsuki—both unable to take on the nukenin despite being the strongest of their class. And lastly, he recalls his daughter sacrificing her life, her freedom for not just her father and comrades, but for the sake of the village.

     The realization that Sarada was truly gone was what motivated him to push through his momentary agony. With a grunt, the Uchiha threw the blankets off of him, revealing his bare torso that was thoroughly wrapped with several bandages. His fingertips delicately traced the bandaged area of his abdomen where the trident once remained, and he couldn't help wondering how he was alive, especially when the blade was poisoned.

     As if it were on cue, the door swung open, revealing both Senju Tsunade and Shizune. Shortly after Sakura's death, Tsunade brought her retirement to a temporary hiatus by taking her former apprentice's place in running the hospital. The work load was far too extraneous for Shizune to handle on her own, so the Slug Sannin decided to step in until they could find a new Head Medic. However, it was unlikely that they would ever find anyone as organized, intelligent, and well respected as Sakura, so they have yet to find a replacement.

     "You're awake," The former Godaime remarked, sauntering towards him to check the wound hidden beneath the bandages. Gently peeling the tape from his skin, Sasuke winced as Tsunade inspected the stitched blemish, nodding approvingly at the sight. "No signs of infection. You should be fully healed within a week, probably sooner since we've been using medical ninjutsu to speed up your recovery."

     "How long was I out?" Sasuke inquired.

     "Five days," Shizune replied. "The poison was pretty potent. Fortunately, we had already conjured an antidote shortly after Sakura's funeral. We wanted to be prepared in case something like this happened again. If Sarada hadn't stopped the bleeding, you would've been a goner."