First Night

Hello! I'm Charlie, I'm the author and I hope you enjoy the story. One thing I feel like I should note is that Sam uses she/they pronouns so I will be alternating their pronouns every so often. I just hoped that would clear up confusion.

Sam ran around in a hurry, grabbing their bag and their new uniform. They were about to rush out the door for their first shift at the museum when they felt a hand on their shoulder, pulling them back.

"You're forgetting something." Sam's girlfriend said, smirking as she handed her the lunchbox. "We're tight on money since you lost your last job so it would be a shame if you had to go out somewhere to buy dinner."

"I know, I know, but I really think this new job will work out."

"Mhm, 4 years at the police academy just to throw it away to become a night guard at a museum." Lila shook her head before kissing Sam on the cheek. Sam looked at her reflection in the entrance hall mirror, dark grey eyes stared back at her, and her blue hair was fading, she'd have to re-dye it again soon. Her fingers subconsciously ran along the roughly 3 inch scar under her eye. She got her brush out of her backpack quickly and brushed her hair before heading out into the New York fall evening.

They braced themself and started towards the museum 7 blocks over. With fall officially here they smiled. Colder weather always made them feel... more alive. The way their breath came out in puffs in front of them, the tingling they felt on the tip of their nose, the occasional gusts of wind that would make them shiver. Fall was simply perfect.

Sam grudgingly wished she could afford a car like Lila but her girlfriend's car was off limits and they could barely afford bills let alone another car. So Sam shook the thought off and headed up the stairs of her destination.

They were greeted by an energetic British guy in a beige suit upon pushing open the door. "Ah... are you the new night guard by any chance?" The man asked.

Sam nodded meekly and he continued, practically bouncing on the balls of his feet. "Yes well... Samantha right?"

"Just... just Sam." They breathed, barely audible.

"Alright well Samantha I'm sorry to spring this all on you at such short notice but the previous night guard had to leave almost immediately for some 'big inventing job opportunity' so you'll be kind of on your own tonight." The... curator? Sam assumed that's who he was, kind of laughed which annoyed Sam to no end.

"Wait so no 2 week warning? He just up and left? How am I supposed to know what to do?" Sam exclaimed when she realized she'd be left without a guide of sorts.

"Uh... Larry said he left a rule book in the locker and said that should be plenty of help." The curator shrugged.

"Wow, a rule book... thanks so much Larry." Sam muttered to themself as the curator headed towards the door.

"Oh, and I'm Dr. McPhee, the curator for the museum."

So Sam had been right. They continued to look around the room, taking in the giant t-Rex statue, the wax figure of Teddy Roosevelt, and the general size of it all.

"So that should be everything, he left the keys in the locker... come to my office tomorrow so we can discuss if you'll stay... don't let anyone break in... oh yeah, you have police training right? So just kind of... break their arms... or something if you see someone try to break in."

Sam was all to familiar with the news report that made her want a job in the first place and bit back on telling Dr McPhee (what a stereotypical British name anyways) that breaking someone's arms on sight was unethical.

Sam nodded as Dr. McPhee headed out and quickly made her way down to the locker room. Sure enough, there was the rule book.

Museum Rule book:

1) Dexter may steal your keys, check your belt constantly.

2) Check on the hall of miniatures and make sure Jedidiah and Octavius aren't fighting

3) Rexy won't hurt you, he just wants to play fetch

4) the whale calls are loud, so take the earbuds in the locker with you if you plan on visiting the Oceanarium

5) don't let the Neanderthals near fire at any cost

6) Atilla likes magic, so you can befriend him that way. Just be careful which tricks you use.

7) if you have any questions, Teddy, Ahk, and Wea would be happy to help

Sam looked down at the rule book in disbelief. They knew something was going on with that museum, nobody can get a ton of live animals to walk down Main Street and then disappear the next morning, there were, however, several wax figures of those exact animals in the museum.

This Museum was magic, she knew it.

So, with that knowledge, they headed out the locker room and braced themselves for what was to come of this strange and unusual new job.

Hello! Me again, I really hope you like the story, and I hope I won't get burnt out on it. Yes I know the N.A.T.M fandom is kind of dead but I wanted to write my own oc into it. Enjoy!

Also I'm not doing any of this humanXwaxfigure nonsense so you can kiss Larry and Amelia goodbye cause I'm not writing that.