01 • Encounter

Reina fucked up.

Sure, she had fucked up a lot of times. There was that one time back then and another time somewhen. Then, there was one other time elsewhen and another other time now and then. Of course, she would never forget the one time she did that.

Simply put, Reina fucked up a lot.

But as bad as she fucked up, she had never fucked up this badly before. That one time back then was close but what she did now was worse. She really didn't mean to, she was just looking at some pet food for one second, and the next thing she knew, it happened.

Reina had just lost her little sister in the middle of the fucking night.

"Mirai, I swear...you better not be in some sort of shit, or someone's gonna fucking die." Reina turned a sharp corner, internally thanking her agility and reliable boots. Externally, she may look cool, calm, and collected, as she always was. But internally, she was panicking as if there were butterflies trying to gnaw at her insides.

That was a gross analogy.

Reina shook her head, clearing her thoughts as she finally got out of the crowded street. She made sure to check every alley and park for her sister. But to no avail, Mirai was nowhere to be found. Just as she was contemplating relying on the police, her ears caught a yell belonging to a very familiar voice.

Needless to say, Reina wanted to curse the gods and any other deity because her sister just had to be lost in Musashi Shrine of all places. To make it worse, the bikes parked all over the place meant the Tokyo Manji Gang, or Toman as they called themselves, the same gang that had claimed the shrine as their own, was at the shrine at that very moment.

Taking three steps at a time, Reina reached the top in no time, just in time to witness her sister giving the boys in black uniforms a verbal lashing.

"It's not my fault you're blind, you idiot!"

"The hell did you just fucking call me, you brat?!"

"Did I stutter? Or are you deaf on top of being brainless?"

"Oi, you wanna die or something?!"

"Try it, you sinking jellyfish!"

"This fucking—"

Taking off her shoe, she flung it to the boy shouting at her sister, hitting his head and effectively shifting all eyes to her. Paying no mind to it, she glared at the boys as she walked forward. Toman parted like the red sea for her, most taking a step back at her harsh glare.

The air thickened into a suffocating silence as Reina slipped on her shoe before crouching down, holding Mirai's chin as she tilted the younger girl's head to the side, examining the bruise on her cheek. "What happened?"

"Well, um, you see"—Mirai cleared her throat, pulling the collar of her shirt to reveal Marseille, their ball python. The girl laughed nervously as Marseille wrapped himself around Reina's shoulders—"I kinda, well, I saw this extremely very pretty butterfly and wanted to photograph it, then I bumped into someone and I ended up taking a wrong turn and I don't know how to get back so I just walked around and then Marseille ran away from me and I followed him here and um"—Mirai looked behind Reina's shoulders, slightly glaring at someone—"I saw someone about to step on Marseille."

Cringing at the hiss that escaped her sister's throat like a suppressed growl, Mirai peeked at Reina's green eyes—seemingly glowing with the fire of her fury—nodding hastily as she silently prayed for the poor soul who would die tonight. "I, uh, I jumped in and, well, I may have gotten kicked once, but that's it. I'm fine and Marseille's not hurt."