2021 halloween oneshot that i forgot to post

help i wrote this for ela last year and i decided to finally post it so pls don't say anything about how dogshit it is (please don't judge the names)

this would probably be tagged f/f, original female character/original female character, fluff, overworked aria on ao3 lmao

words: 702

===

I worked away at my desk on an essay for college. We were working on a History essay on how modern witches' inventions affect modern witch life itself. I was halfway through, when my roommate, Sentia, called, "Aria! Dinner's ready!"

"A few more minutes, I have to finish this historic essay!" I called back.

Sentia sighed. "That got old the first 10 times you said it. Why don't you take a break? It's Halloween! You're supposed to be out by tradition."

I scowled. "Then why aren't you going out?"

"I would but my anxiety could never. And even just the thought of human children..." She shuddered.

"Sentia, I have to finish this assignment, my grade's depending on this!"

She came and hugged me from behind. I did my best to concentrate as she tried to convince me to go out. "Just let me work!" I demanded, taking her hands off my chest.

"We have 3 days to work on this, you're burning yourself out," she soothed, "plus you haven't been out in forever! Tell you what, I'll come with you."

"You promise?" I asked.

She nodded and smiled. "I promise."

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, fine. I'll go out right now."

I stood up from my desk. Sentia ran over and embraced me in a hug. "Thank you so much Aria!" she gushed.

I simpered. "Okay, let me change." I said, motioning for her to leave the room."

I put on a black dress with lavender gloves, a blue, beaded necklace that gleamed in the moonlight every time I wore it, a pointed hat, and pitch, black tights.

"Come on, Naya."

I first got Naya as a gift from my parents on my 12th birthday, and now I've become attached to her. Literally. She's enchanted to always be by my side, and I always feel better around her.

I took my broom and spell book and walked out the door. Is she going to follow? I thought. You know what, I trust Sentia, she IS going to come! I added, confident in my thoughts.

I opened a portal to the home of mankind and made my way to a house, invisible.

"...so that's why you should watch out for the Devious Witch! Ooooohhh!" one of the high schoolers said.

"Mm, I'm scared.." a middle schooler whimpered, hugging her friend.

"Pfft, she doesn't exist, Mia. You're being such a baby," her older sister rolled her eyes, "And don't scare her like that, Andrew!"

"Whatever. You're no fun," the one called Andrew said, as he popped a Starburst into his mouth.

I stifled a laugh. Is this really how we are represented? Humans make us seem like we're some kind of a joke! But I was still wondering..

Where is she..? I thought she'd be here by now.

"So that's what I said," a girl about 17 said, "and then.."

I creeped around to the other side of the house and cast a hex on the unsuspecting junior.

"Ah! Who did that?! I'm literally going to kill you for that!" she screamed furiously.

I giggled at her reaction as her friends snickered at her as well.

"Don't laugh!" she continued, "You're supposed to be my friends!"

"Sorry, it *was* kind of funny," one of the humans shrugged as they ruffled her hair.

I flew away as I smiled to myself when I heard a familiar female voice say, "See, it wasn't so bad, was it?"

I screamed. "Sentia, why didn't you come before?! You scared the life out of me!!!"

Sentia gave a sly smile. "But I still kept my promise, right?"

I pouted.

"Anyway, how was it?" she teased, putting her hands under her chin. "as bad as you thought it'd be?"

"It was okay." I grumbled.

"Really? Just okay?"

"Fine, it was amazing! I felt like I was in high school again and we have to do this annually!" I gushed excitedly.

"See? I always have the best insights for you, don't I?" she teased more.

I rolled my eyes. But maybe Sentia was right, I've been burning myself out, and you always need to take time for yourself. I continued to argue with her as we went to the other houses.

===

i'm sorry for what you had to read