The letter

Madison Leigh couldn't believe this was actually happening. Her mother was crying. Her father looked at the fire in silence. She would have to leave them after the summer, she would have to leave everyone she ever knew.

Before they went silent her parents had said they were happy for her. The three of them shared a long hug.

"You're going to discover so many great things," her mother had said.

But no matter how supportive they were her parents couldn't hide the depth of their sadness. Madison was silent too, frozen in place, she had been secretly hoping this would happen, but now the moment had actually come and she was terrified.

An owl had brought the letter, and it read, in tall green letter, Madison Leigh, we are pleased to welcome you at Hogwarts. Your first year will begin on the 1st of September.

The rest of the letter listed out all the things she would have to buy - most of them she had never heard of.

"Magic skipped a generation in our family," her father said, his eyes still set on the fire, as if he was craving for warmth. "Your grandparents were powerful magicians, and your mother and I were the shame of the wizarding world."

"I don't know if I can do it," Madison said.

"Of course you can, if you have but a fraction of your ancestors' power you will grow into one fine wizard," said her mother.

The doorbell rang.

Damn, I had forgotten he was coming tonight, Madison thought.

Her father checked the video feed on the interphone. "It's your friend," he said. "John, is that it?"

"Come on dad," Madison, "don't act like you're not sure. John has been coming here for years."

"I know..." he said. "It's just not the best evening, that's all."

He clicked on the interphone anyway, and Madison and her parents waited in silence for John to take the elevator.

"Good evening Leigh's", John said in his usual uplifting manner. His hair was messy, like always. He carried the math book under his arm, they were supposed to study in her room.

"Well, you two have fun," Madison's mother said, doing her best to hide the tears.

John nodded. He seemed to notice something was strange but said nothing.

When Madison closed the door of her room, to be alone with John, she didn't have the heart to tell him about Hogwarts. After all, this might be one of the last times they hung out together before she'd have to leave - she didn't want to make it sad.

"Have you seen the last BTS?" she asked John.

"Of course!"

Still, she unlocked her iPad and they watched the clip together, then they watched another, sitting side by side on her bed.

"Is everything ok?" John asked.

Of course it wasn't. Madison wished she were a better actress, but it seemed as if she couldn't hide the fact she was shaken.

She couldn't hide it any longer.

"I'll have to leave at the end of summer," she said, shaking her head. "I received the letter today, from Hogwarts."

Strangely, John did not give much of a reaction. He remained composed, and, eventually, he nodded.

"It's a relief," he said.

"A relief?"

"Well... I also received the letter," John whispered. "To tell you the truth, there's something you don't about me."

"I know everything about you," Madison said. "The orphanage, the color of your eyes. Your favorite food, your abilities at math. What did I miss?"

"I'm... truly sorry," John said. "It's something I should have told you a long time ago."