11 • Failure

"The festival tomorrow? I'm not going."

"Huh? Why?" Emma banged her hands on the table, rattling the bowls of ramen. "But, but, but, but it's a festival!"

"So?"

"So you gotta come and have fun!''

"That's irrelevant." The black-haired girl couldn't help but deadpan when Emma looked like Reina had just confessed to a murder in the middle of a fucking ramen restaurant. She hated festivals with a burning passion. It wasn't the festivals she hated though, it was the firework show most festivals would have. That, and the crowds. Simply put, festivals were horrible. Nothing good ever happened at a festival.

"If it makes you feel better, Mirai's planning to go."

"Alone?" Emma rose back from her dead-like state to gape at Nagarei. "Did you, overprotective brother Rei, just let your baby sister go to a festival alone? What if she's kidnapped?"

"I taught her how to break people's legs. She'll be fine...hopefully."

"That's not something you should be teaching children, Rei-kun." Hinata sweatdropped, blowing her steaming ramen before slurping it. "Is Mirai-chan gonna take pictures again?"

"Yeah, something about pretty lights." Reina never understood Mirai's obsession with photography. But as long as she was happy, then any relatively safe hobby was fine. Her sister deserved that much, at the very least, and Reina would be damned if she couldn't give it to her. That reminded her that a new camera would be released soon. She should put in a pre-order.

"Well, Mirai's very passionate about photography. She's so cute when she's passionate about taking a certain picture." Emma hummed, enjoying her own ramen now that she was done being dramatic. "Don't worry, Rei." The blonde shoved Nagarei a thumbs up. "Draken and I will be there, and so will Hina and Takemitchy. We'll watch over Mirai for you."

"You're unnecessarily ruining your own date."

"I don't mind." Emma doubted Draken would even consider that as a date. For all she knew, he could just be chaperoning his best friend's little sister. "You know, would it kill you to show more facial expressions?" The blonde pouted, puffing up her cheeks. "I feel like I'm talking to a brick here."

"It would."

"Why are we friends again?" Emma sighed, poking Nagarei's cheek with her manicured nails. Despite her words, she genuinely enjoyed Nagarei's company, even if the only emotions she had ever seen the boy wear were smugness, anger, and nothing at all. "But rethink it, 'kay? It's a good day to enjoy yourself tomorrow."

"Emma-chan's right." Hinata clapped her hands with a beam on her face. "Just come by and play some games or enjoy some snacks, Rei-kun."

Well, the main reason why Reina didn't want to go was because she wanted to investigate something. Nothing has been confirmed yet, but she knew Harui's Hokkyokusei was giving her trouble and she wanted it dealt with as soon as possible. Still, she would humor the girls.

"We'll see."

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

It was one of the rare days when Nagarei was back to being Reina. That meant hair extensions and no binder. As much as she didn't mind being a boy—she was starting to want to grow her hair out, no doubt Baji's influence—she still loved being a girl.

Reina wondered if there was a way to become a shapeshifter who could change genders and appearance whenever they wanted. To be able to become anybody and anything she wanted to be whenever she wanted to be sounded extremely convenient.