The Rose of Romance

The tiny sty of Siesta Villa smelled of tequila and molded horse fodder.

Josie stood glued to her brother's muscular arm, her blue eyes wide and frightened as she watched a trail of large gray rats scamper up and down the faded gold and red velvet drapes.

She had been against the trip to Mexico when the idea had begun as an intermittent spark in her brother's eyes. Even now, she couldn't grasp being here, that Simon had convinced her to accompany him to this godforsaken desolate strip of no man's land.

They had entered the cantina over an hour ago. Business was good for the small, dying village. A handful of smiling senoritas were working tables that were circled with loud, drunken patrons.

They were dirty, like the cantina, and Josie had watched them, and they her. Most were dressed in chaps coated in dust and cotton pants. Most had a red bandana lassoed around their limber necks, the drugging effects of the tequila finally soaking in.

Josie supposed that they must be vaqueros, working the ranches and farms in the sparsely scattered environs of Siesta Villa.

Simon had spoken to all of the young senoritas, futilely attempting to use his Spanish tongue. He knew bits and pieces of the language which he had garnered from a childhood friend. And it was this friend that Simon sought - the reason that he had come to Mexico - to locate Diamond Faregate.

The first thing she saw was Roberto. Obviously, he had been responsible for awakening her. He looked very different than he had last evening, much more handsome.  

He had a colorful sombrero atop his dark head and wore a thick, well-tailored brown cotton suit. He was lean and muscular, his face stitched with lines of concern.

She had intended to thank him last evening before drifting off, and she supposed that he thought she was ungrateful for his kindness, her eyes scanning his taut face.

"Senorita Josie, there is something that you must know," he began in a rush once he was certain that she was fully awake. "Your brother-"

"That will be enough, Roberto," the deep voice commanded.

Josie glanced up, squinting her blue eyes against the bright sunlight. They widened as Diamond Faregate's foreboding form waved into view. The index finger of his right hand was heavily bandaged and Josie silently reveled.

Josie followed Diamond, demanding, "Wh-where are we going? Are you lying about my burro?"  

She knew that he wasn't going to lift one large hand against her, the knowledge thrilling her. He had promised Simon, she silently gloated. And she was going to take advantage of the situation - drive Mr. Faregate totally insane until her departure tonight.

"I told you once, I don't lie," he reminded, his tone taut. "Simon took your burro back to Siesta Villa with him last night. If you are determined to go, then it will have to be by foot."

"Very well," she clipped out, eyeing the hellacious sun with resentment. "It shouldn't be that much more difficult. The burros were rather slow walkers."

They had reached the campfire from the evening before where Josie remembered warming her hands. It was hard to believe it was so scorching hot right now.

Diamond lifted back the white straw hat and informed, "You aren't going anywhere, Mr. Josie Rodgers. You're staying put - cooking for my men as you were told."

He bent to collect the tin coffee pot from the campfire and cursed, finding it hot to the touch. His wounded, bandaged hand too, Josie silently noted with satisfaction.