the godswood - part one

the knotted roots of the alabaster tree pressed firmly into alicent's side as she leant against its soft corrugations, a permeating warmth emanating from her skin. in her lap lay the princess rhaenyra, her violet eyes boring themselves into her soul, exposing the lady alicent. yet, she felt no discomfort in it, only home, which had been scarce as of late. the scarlet leaves hung suspended above them, keeping them well shaded, their red pigment creating an almost magical light.

'would you read to me?'

she glanced down at rhaenyra, shaking her head with a small smile.

'forgive me, rhaenyra, i seem to have gotten lost somewhere in my thoughts...' she breathed, smiling down at her.

it was quiet, only the rustling of foliage could be heard, any signs of guards were exempt.

'why so pensive? a lot on your mind?'

she gave no answer, uncertain as to how to describe her feelings... similar to the supple bark of the tree, she was knotted and wound tightly, but as to why, it was anyone's guess. instead she inspected the book she had long forgotten at her side.

'when princess nymeria arrived in dorne, who did she take to husband?' she smirked, testing rhaenyra. 'you did read it, did you not?'

'of course i read it, i only thought-'

'rhaenyra'

she sighed, gazing up at alicent pouting, but gave into her friend.

'a man.'

'and his name, rhaenyra?'

'lord something.'

'rhaenyra!'

the princess looked up at her companion with a challenging expression etched upon her face, which was returned, followed by a wide grin.

'septa marlowe will be furious...'

'she's funny when she's furious.' there was a pause. she glanced up at her, fiddling with a fallen scarlet leaf, folding it then unfolding it, repeating it over and over, until the leaf could no longer bear its handling, falling by rhaenyra's side. 'what?' she mumbled, pouting.

'you're worried, aren't you?' 'no i-' 'you're most disagreeable when you're worried... or nervous...'

they both stilled a moment, glancing at one another.

'i only worry for my mother', she breathed, her voice lowering, soft, hushed, 'and for my father, that he may get his son, as i recall it is all he has ever wanted...'

'you want him to have a son?'

rhaenyra exhaled softly, resting her eyes a moment, and adjusted her head in her companions lap, pressing her warm cheek to her dress, as if trying to escape, and meld together with alicent.

'i want to fly with you on dragonback, see the great wonders across the narrow sea, and eat only cake', she said simply, flitting her eyes up to alicent, avoiding her previous question.

'rhaenyra-' 'i never jest about cake.'

in return, alicent peered down at the girl, biting her tongue, and refrained from her retort. but yet again, rhaenyra challenged her with a look, before looking out past the godswood, and humming, as if content with her victory.

'you aren't worried about your position?' alicent blurted, biting her tongue once more, not having wanted for it to have slipped out in the first place.