not this lifetime

AU
When a higher being falls in love,
it never ends in peace.

WARNING: if you are a reader of COLD BREW, this oneshot is a MAJOR. MAJOR. SPOILER .
____

"I like you."

Jungwon was afraid that he would hear those three words. When the girl asked him to meet her outside, he put two and two together.

Ji-A was pretty, smart and outgoing. Having shared a few classes in college, the duo exchanged words now and then about school or just life in general. Jungwon usually minded his own. Even his friends told him to be more open to new relationships. And they were happy to see that he was talking to a girl again.

However, his face would go stern.

2 years. To a human, that time can change a lot. But in Jungwon's heart, it never changed. For it loved one person and one person only. He repulsed the idea of being with someone else.

His friends would tell him that he needed to move on. But, how could he? Really. How could he?

She was everything to him.

To move on, is like betraying her.

A strong gust of wind hit them, the cold air making the girl slightly shiver under her thin cardigan. The wing was so strong that you could hear something resembling a roar, like the sky was unhappy.

"I'm sorry, I don't quite return your feelings."

The girl's face fell. For she was confident that he liked her too. She had never been rejected, and heat quickly rises in her chest that she tries to suppress.

"Oh. May I ask why?"

Jungwon was taken aback at the question.

"What do you mean? Why? I just simply do not have the emotional capacity to like someone else is all. Don't take it personal."

That didn't satisfy her.

"Then why do you entertain me? Is it because of your dead ex?"

The mention of her name ignited a rage that Jungwon has suppressed. His face darkened,

"What did you just say?"

"I hear all about it. You are very well liked by many girls you know, but there are rumours that you don't entertain them because you're not over your ex two years ago. Is that true?"

"What makes you think you have the right to ask me that?"

The girl nearly opened her mouth to reply, but was stunned by his response. His jaw was clenched and his eyes shot lasers at her like a warning.

"S-So its true?"

"She's not dead. For your information. But not like that's any of your business."

Jungwon walked away, not interested to engage in further conversation with her. The girl stood there, her face flushed with embarrassment and humiliation. She didn't think that he would reject her, nor would he be so nonchalant to her charms and words.