Chapter 1

banner art isnt mine at all in this fic

"Where is Touya?" asked Akito. "I thought he was with you." replied An.
"Right here." I said, touching his shoulder.
"Gaah! Touya, don't scare me like that!"
Kohane laughed.
"I see you went to the arcade again." Akito noticed, pointing to the large teal penguin plushie in my hand. "Yeah. I think your older sister will really like this one."

"Let's get started with our vocal warm-ups guys." interrupted An. "Okay."

"Your vocal expression improved a lot this time, Aoyagi, but I think you could improve your pacing. You tend to rush into your lines too fast." said Kohane. "Alright. An, your voice sounded a bit thick during the bridge, try to relax and sing like you normally do, okay?"
"I'll keep that in mind."
"Kohane, you went off pitch a lot during the pre-chorus, but otherwise your performance was flawless." said Akito. "Thanks,"
"Maybe switch parts with An if you're singing out of your range." I suggested.
"Great practice today, people."
The doorbell jingled. "A customer? Sorry guys, I'm going to go serve them now. Bye!" said An. "Bye, An." replied Kohane.

"See you tomorrow, Touya." Akito waved and crossed the street once the light turned green. I stayed at the intersection for fifteen minutes to sing before going home. As I unlocked the front door, I felt a searing pain in my chest and coughed. A sunflower petal fell into my hand. "What the . . ." I croaked.
I tossed it over my shoulder and went inside.
"I'm home, Dad." He doesn't look up from his computer and barely acknowledges me. I slip into the bathroom.

After taking a shower, I look in the mirror, and all of a sudden start violently coughing. Golden sunflower petals spill into the sink, soaked in blood. The pain returns. My reflection blurs and my head spins with dizziness. My whole body starts to shake uncontrollably.
Hanahaki disease. The disease of unrequited love. Some senior girl in Kohane's school got it and nearly died. There were two ways to get cured; 1) confess your love (this only works if they love you back). or 2) get surgery to remove the flower blooming in your lungs before the petals suffocate you to death. The downside of this one was that you would lose your feelings for that person and maybe even lose all your memories of them.
Shit. I am in love with Akito. There was no way in hell I was going to lose him.

Akito doesn't love me. That was why I've never told him; for fear of being rejected and ruining their friendship.
Great. Now I'm going to die because of some stupid crush.
The pain my chest tightens. I gasp for breath and collapse onto the tile floor.

Someone knocks on the bathroom door. "Touya? You've been in there for an hour. I need to shower." Wiping the blood off my mouth, I feel okay enough to get up and wash the blood and petals down the sink before stepping out and muttering a "sorry" to my father. I glance at the clock as I stumble up the stairs.

10:01 p.m.

I walk into my room and fall onto the floor before I even reach my bed.