Chapter 1

A monster truck came barreling toward me. I spun around and ran straight as fast as my legs could take me. I admit it; it was problematic in the sense I didn't train enough. There's a a massive glass door to my right, but if I go straightforward, then it's over. Turning to my right, I run my shoulder into the glass. Panting and sweating.

Someone jolts me and says, "Lyra!" and I sit upright in my chair. The teacher is peering at me with fire in his eyes. Laughter blooms all around me. Wiping the drool on my face, and realizing I'm sweltering all over, I stare at the teacher.

"Well, I'll see you, Ms. Pyce, after class. Now-"

The boys kept making fun of me when I was walking down the hall to my next few classes.

The daydreaming stopped and as soon as I notice a ball coming my way, I catch it and throw it back toward its owner. The ball hits the person who's still doing her nails look pleasant. Oh, no. She's going to end up in the hospital, but I'm going to get the lawsuit and get kicked, and that's not fun.

The walk of shame and a hall pass to the principal's office was not what I needed. I open the door to find a man in his 40s, and when he sees me, "Ah, I have been looking all over for the talented Lyra Pyce"

"Excuse me?" is what I can manage before I realize it's not gonna fly well.

"I'll explain on the way there, though. Ms. Pyce, gather your things"

He declares, "We are going someplace magical."

Ok. With that in mind, I get my stuff from the lockers and go with the man, although he's suspicious. On my way to the lockers, I see the mean girl being pulled away on a stretcher while yelling, "If I see her, she is SO getting-" I missed the next word. I grab my backpack. It's simple and blue. Not expensive. Nor was it something high maintenance. 

The man tells me I'll be going to a special school for Princesses/badass warriors. "Did you say-"

"Yes, Warriors. So, I already enrolled you there and asked them to get you out of 'normal' school," he said.

The word 'normal' rolled off his tongue pretty slowly. A school for preppy princesses. Trees line the road uphill. We roll onto a driveway, a huge driveway, and....it's a castle. A literal castle. Yikes. The huge double doors opened and revealed a whole new world.

The man told me to go inside and set my things away and meet him downstairs. I take some time to put my things away, which isn't much. It was difficult to find him, so I went to explore this enormous castle. It stretched on for miles and miles. The only footsteps were mine. I opened every door and saw more than my regular school. I saw a gym or sword training area or something. There were classrooms and a library. My curiosity got the best of me, so there was nothing else I could do but unlock it.

The library was quiet, but I expected that anyway. I started going through the rows of books, picking out a few that caught my eye. They were all about magical creatures or spells. This was something I had never seen before. It astonished me. My back turned, I walk backwards... Suddenly; I bumped into... A chest. The hands are on the shoulders. A nervous laugh escapes me as I gaze up at a face.

  We sit gazing at each other for what seems like a long time. "Uh," I say when there is nothing I can think of to emit or request.

"I'm Drystan"

  I take his hand and shake it, which was waiting in front of me. Then he lets go.

"My name is Lyra Pyce," I declare, a small laugh escaping. "What are you doing here?"