Father Within

My name is Ashton Anthony Cain, but my friends just call me Ash. I'm sixteen years old and a sophomore in high school, but if you took a good long hard look you'd think I was otherwise. I guess you could say that my life has a lot to do with that. About six months ago I inherited Nikki, my best friend's one year old daughter.

Now when you agree to being a godparent, you never actually plan on having to follow through with the greater responsibilities of raising your godchild. Sure you plan on spoiling them rotten and taking them everywhere, feeding  them the junk food they wouldn't normally get at home. But never in your wildest dreams do you plan on their parents dying and leaving you with full custody. Between going to school and raising Nikki, I have a lot more responsibility to then I bargained for; don't get me wrong I love Nikki to death but I have no clue how to be a parent, I'm just a kid myself.

I met Shannon and Jayden in middle school, we were all caught at the same time for skipping class; little did we know that we'd become the best of friend or rather thick as thieves as the saying goes. Anyway they had been dating at the time and recounted the story of how they met so many times throughout or friendship that I had it memorized by heart. It truly was a magical story for anyone who believed in the fairytale and of course true love, I on the other hand was skeptical. I mean who finds their soul mate at the age of eight? No one, that's who. But I guess some people just can't help but to gravitate towards each other. That's what happened here.

But what none of us anticipated was a pregnancy freshman year, guess sometimes you just have to expect the unexpected.

TBC....Read/Comment/Vote