PROLOGUE

It was one of those raining mornings I hated. It started raining at exactly 5am. I was bent over my book reading for the examination this morning when lightning struck first and then the deafening clap of thunder that made me shook in fright. I immediately knew it was going to rain and I grimaced at the pages of my note book I have not covered. As I was expecting, the light went off just as the second lighting struck. I stood up from my reading table and went blind searching for the matches I usually dropped on my table in preparations for the unstable power supply we face often. I started to hear the pitter patter of the rain drops outside my window and a smile crept to my face; I was going to use this opportunity to read and go late to school. I quickly searched the table not wanting to waste any more time, I slammed my palms on anything I could lay my hands on. It was while I had been searching, I heard my sister scream. It had come unexpectedly and so quick, jerking me backwards to the heel of my feet.

          Steadying myself, I stood calm trying to understand what she was mumbling in between sobs and then I heard footstep.....not just one but many. They came running like soldiers and soon it stopped. I could only hear whispers now that sounded aloud in my ears. Though I moved into my room weeks before, I knew it so well. It was formerly a store room in the house near the kitchen; it was smaller than all the rooms.  I moved in immediately my sisters had taken away useful materials and sold them out. Taking the worn out utensils out and dropping them at the back yard, I started to move my belongings gradually till I had fully moved everything. I did not mind the kitchen had only a window for ventilation all that matters to me was the privacy I would get in having a room to myself.

          I walked towards my door which was three steps away from where I stood close to my bed and table. I opened the door gently, peering in to complete darkness in the Kitchen. Watching my steps, I stepped out into the kitchen and made it to the living room. I could hear my sister's gentle sobs, holding the walls for balance I turned to my left. I could see light coming out from my mother's room and illuminating the small corridor. Drawing nearer to her room, my feet suddenly became heavy and somehow refused to walk.

 "Check her pulse" Adaugo said. Her voice was calm and gentle, if it were her voice I heard while I was still in my room I will not have bothered coming out. I could still hear Amaka's soft cries; it was she who had woke the whole house up. As I was approaching the room, her cries grew louder into the early morning darkness surpassing the rain that was falling outside. I stopped at the door and did some calculations. Why would all be gathered in my mother's room? I knew Amaka so well like the back of my palm, I knew she will not waste her precious tears on any of her half sisters or on me her step sister. I hate to think or create images of someone but I couldn't help it. I placed my hands on my chest to steady my heartbeat. I squeezed my eyes as I pushed the curtains aside and step into the room. When I opened my eyes Amaka was sitting like the Hausa's on the floor beside my mother's bed, Adaugo was at the foot of my mother's bed while Chioma and Chidinma just stood beside her bed, hands crossed beneath their breast. I traced their gaze to my mother's stiff body somehow I knew they were happy that THE WITCH HAS FINALLY GONE TO SLEEP.

       Wait a minute, gone to sleep? My mom gone to sleep? What was I thinking? Am I really wishing my mom death? Am I really wishing her that or was it real? Was her body actually stiff? Why was Amaka crying like she was in a funeral? All this while I was thinking I never realised that I had walked down to her bed and sat upon her soft mattress or that I was squeezing and shaking her vigorously until I was forcefully dragged away from her. Adaugo was talking to someone on the phone but I couldn't make do with what she was saying. I watched my lifeless mother, I imagined her chest go up and down few times but it was just mere imaginations. She wasn't moving but I could swear she was fine last night or was she? Guilt filled my heart knowing that I had stopped checking on her ever since she became well.

  "Afam is on his way" I heard Adaugo say.  She was the first child and the best of my step sisters. Afam short for Afamefule was her fiancé for three years and whom she was finally getting married to come 28th of next month. "Kassy oya get up go and get ready for school" she ordered me. "Amaka stop crying and help your sister get ready for school." She spoke to the only sister I share same mother with the rest of my five sisters have same father but different mothers. I looked at Amaka and knew she hadn't heard Adagu so I left the room but not to my room or the bathroom but instead to the parlour. I sat down there in darkness with no imaginations just staring into darkness like a crazy person.

    I didn't know when Afam arrived or when Adaugo had gone to open the door for him, I just saw him running into the house and passing me to the room like it was his house. I snapped out from whatever that was holding me and I was amazed at how much time had pass because sunlight squeezed itself through the curtain to illuminate the room. I heard movements and soon appeared Afam moving backwards without ease and then I could see my mother's hands and then were Adaugo and the twins (Chioma and Chidinma) carrying her lifeless body to the car. Amaka followed behind she was sobbing so hard that she didn't mind the mucus that came running down her nose and dripping to her lower lip.

      I stood up from where I had been sitting and followed them outside. The rain had stopped as quickly as it started. It left its remains, the wet floor and the running of rain water in the open drain at the side of the estate gate. I felt that chilling air that always came after a rainfall. The day became bright as the sun began to come out lazily giving the whole environment a golden outlook. My mom was placed at the back seat of Afam's car; Adaugo followed him running to seat in the front seat beside the driver's seat. Immediately Afam took his position at the driver's seat, he zoomed off.