Journey

A boy awakened from his sleep, tired and drowsy. His head was full of fog, unable to comprehend where he was. This is common to those who rise quickly from a deep sleep. Around him the world was still. The canvas tent shuddered at his movements as he lifted himself from the warm ground he was just asleep on. Next to him a body laid silent, another boy, dreaming of the glories of the day to come. But this day was far from glorious.

Quite the contrary actually. The conscious one shifted towards the zippered up opening, his only connection to the dense forest on the outside. The silence was unnerving to him, for not a bird seemed to chirp or forest animal scurry. His hand fumbeled for the zipper and his curiosity of the silence grew. A picture of a dirty blond haired girl faded into his head and he remembered of her red haired mother, the one supervising the camping excursion. The one who insisted on staying in the RV while they all stayed outside in the cold, dark wilderness. Wouldn't she be having the maids cook some breakfast by now?

Finally he was able to undo the zipper. The mid-morning Sun flashed back at him, blinding him with shire white light. The scent of dew and pine needles wafted through his nostrils, calming his senses and inviting him out of the tent. As he stepped out and regained sight, his feet became glued to the dirt and pine cones at his feet. Before him stood a clearing protected by pine trees. The RV was gone without a trace.

"Matt. What's wrong, friend?"