That One Gridanian Summer

"Isn't he the most frightfully handsome man you've ever seen?"

The lovely Maisie Dawes was perched on a large rock, smooth as stone, just outside the granary, with feet crossed and swinging her legs back and forth like a little child. Standing next to her with arms crossed and head cocked slightly to one side was one of her dearest friends, Elodie Mayne. If Maisie Dawes could be called ravishing, her friend was more like as not to be overlooked if standing in her company.

"I'm inclined to agree," Elodie replied, studying the tall, muscular Au Ra carefully.

The Au Ra in question was one of the Xaela, though in the estimation of the two young Hyuran women - as if they could have possibly been experts on the subject of the Xaela - his skin appeared as if only tanned, and his slightly short, sandy-blond hair certainly made him stand out in appearance, at least as far as any Au Ra they had ever chanced to see. He was shirtless, working voluntarily at the granary in the North Shroud, which was located not far from the beauteous and majestic confines of Gridania. His dark draconic scales contoured his muscular physique perfectly, his skin glowing with a light sheen of sweat under the hot summer sun. Whenever they caught glimpses of his face, his features were sharp and strikingly handsome, his yellow eyes shining brightly like a burning inferno in the daylight. Both were so mesmerized with the man that neither one could remove her eyes from him.

"Whatever else you may say about him, he's certainly far from home."

Elodie frowned at such a random comment, and then said, "That much is true, I imagine." She turned away as if readying to enter the granary. "An adventurer, no doubt."

"Where you off to, Elle?"

"The heat is getting to me, I think."

"The heat, or do you mean to say you are getting in heat?"

Elodie's jaw dropped. She turned and gave her friend a light slap on the shoulder. "Excuse me, what do you think I am? A Miqo'te?"

"Just don't let any Miqo'te ever hear you talk like that!"

The two laughed, and it caught the attention of the handsome stranger. He glanced sidelong at the young pair, and cracked a smile at them.

Elodie flushed and swiftly turned to enter the building, while Maisie promptly stood up, smiled kindly, then also turned to go into the building. The Au Ra watched as they went inside, then promptly resumed his work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Did you see how he stared at me?"

"Oh Maisie, I think a man is naturally wired to glance in the direction of any group of women if they start laughing suddenly, probably with the sense that they're talking about him."

"Well, in this case, it's true, at least!"

Elodie certainly couldn't have argued the point.

The pair was sitting down within the granary sipping at iced tea, refreshingly cool and sweet on what seemed to be the hottest day out of the whole year thus far. The sun had already set, but the heat of the day still lingered.

"Ladies," a smooth, deep voice said suddenly.

The women snapped to attention, and there standing before them was the Au Ra they had seen so busy just hours before.

Maisie's mouth was agape for some moments as she attempted to find words to speak, but couldn't.

Resolute, Elodie said, "Good evening, kind sir."