Hey

"Hey!" he said.

It brought me to a halt. My feet screeching to a stop. For a brief second, I considered ignoring that voice I grew so accustomed to. That voice I grew to love. That voice I knew better than my own. It's not that I wanted to ignore him because he broke my heart but I just didn't want him to see any of the pain that was written on my face.

My love. My sweet love who wasn't mine to have. He could read me like an open book and I didn't want him to see me hurting. My pain was no longer his responsibility to solve. I didn't want him to feel bad about his choice that wasn't his own conscious choice but the way he said hey. Like the world was perfect, which to him, it was, but to me, my world was crashing before my eyes and I let it. By letting him be happy. By telling him the decision he needed to make. I let my own world crumble.

But alas, I pivot on my feet. I met his face with my own. Tears at the ready. Betraying my wants. My needs. Instead, I smiled in hopes that he would be so happy in the moment, he would see my face, see my smile, and never notice the tears at the brim of my eyes.

"Yeah?"

"You're the most amazing person I've ever met."

I smiled. The comment made me want to cry more but I smiled. I looked at the ground. Brushed a stray hair behind my ear and smiled.

He smiled that big goofy grin that I also loved so much but would have to come to forget.

In the end, when I couldn't stand it any longer, I pursed my lips together. I forced my eyes to light up and pivoted on my feet. Immediately, as if my eyes sensed it was time, they cried. I let out a quiet gasp and a single tear fell down my face.

I may have been the most amazing person he ever met, but somehow, I just wasn't amazing enough.