We Make The Rules

It had been a normal day at work, but maybe that's what made the events of the day even more irritating. The office had been oddly quiet, well as quiet as it could get with the thunderstorm. A tall male with an olive tan and the prettiest coloured hair stood at the elevator, impatiently waiting for it to arrive. There was this sort of ambiance around him, a smugness, if you will. It was obvious that he needed to be somewhere, as he kept checking his phone, occasionally tapping away at the screen.

  "Apollo!" Somebody called a coworker, somebody that had been a newer hire. "already heading home?" The coworker chuckled, waving as he was met with an annoyed sneer. Apollo really did not have the time for annoying teammates. Though as though he was being saved by the bell, the elevator dinged, alerting Apollo of its arrival. It was then that he realized that someone was at his side. He let out a tired sigh realizing that the one person in the office that he just could not put the energy into liking, Sky Choi. See Sky was always so... down, and quiet. Not to mention that the younger one hadn't shown up to work for the past week. They work on vacation, the team is usually told if a member is going to be gone for more than a couple days. 

  Sky seems to be on edge, their hands hidden in the pockets of zyr skirt. Something is off, something had been off for as long as the younger had been back. Apollo sighed while shaking his head in the process, he really did not have time to empathize with the younger nor the emotional space to put up with the thoughts of Sky occupying his mind. They both moved into the elevator, neither seeming keen to start a conversation in the small time they would share in the ride down. Apollo let another sigh out as his phone dinged with a notification, he quickly took the device out, frantically typing in response to whoever had texted him. He rubs at the spot on his hand where his ring usually sits, a simple golden band that he took off for the final time. He groaned as the cell on his phone cut off, leaving him unable to respond to the text.

  Sky only shook zyr head, standing as far away from the elder as they could in this elevator.... That's when they felt the jerk. "Wha-" they let out a shriek as they felt the elevator come to a stop, this wasn't good. Sky let out a shaky breath, panic clouding their thoughts to the point that they didn't realize that thunder had sounded just after they had stopped. 

  Apollo looked up as the thunder crack sounded, a frustrated sigh leaving his lips once he realized that they had stopped moving. “Really? Of all the times you had to do this, it had to be now?” he mumbled, just out of the hearing range of Sky… Though once he looked over at them, it was obvious that no amount of volume would be able to be perceived by the younger. Apollo scoffed. “I don’t know why you’re freaking out Sky! If you would calm down you’d see that we won’t be here for long!” He raised his voice, though he couldn’t help the way his heart dropped as it caused the younger to flinch back into a corner.

  As Sky hit the wall they slipped down to the floor, hugging their knees to their chest. Ze started rocking back and forth, a mumbled a panicked “우린 여기서 죽을 거예요.” (*We’re going to die here* )  Ze seem frantic and afraid, as if they simply weren’t mentally there. Their shaking hands had come up to cover their ears, the sleeves they wore slipping down to reveal a wrap of gauze covering zyr right hand. Apollo sighs in frustration, not understanding what Sky was muttering about. 

  “We are going to be fine!” Apollo seethed, staring at the doors in front of him. Maybe, just maybe he could yell out to somebody! He might have to crack the doors open just a bit to see if that was even possible… Apollo went to move but froze, remembering how the slightest raise of his voice caused Sky to flinch back. He hummed, turning away from the door to once again assess the situation. “Sky?” he tried, testing to see if the younger was even paying attention. Nothing. In the end he couldn’t get them to respond, all ze seemed to be capable at the moment was rocking back and forth and muttering under zyr breath.  Apollo sighed as he heard Sky mumble once more, he wasn’t going to even try to guess what they were saying.