Time Signature

Another bell.

Bells, bells, bells are constantly ringing in my school. Not the tingly, jovial bells often heard around christmastime, or church bells striking nine in the morning.

School bells. Ugly bells urging us to move along, keep going, walk with the pack. I despise them.

I guess you could say I march to the beat of my own drum. I've always disliked school. Too much emphasis on the football teams, not enough on the music programs, as if the music program is anything I would want to be in.

It's political, prudish and just plain dumb. When I auditioned as a freshman to join the choir at Chaugham High School, they had told me that I could sing anything to try out. Little did I know that I was not supposed to have sung "At Last," by Etta James but "To Woodland Glades I Must Fare" by some old dead classical composer.

Yep, you heard it right. Those bitches set me up.

So now I'm by myself. Though I've been in this mundane school system for eleven years, I'm still not in a music program there. I sing out of school, out of the eyes of them, and take my piano and microphone to wherever is offered. Still, I wish I had a group to fall back on. I dream of tour buses, concerts with my best friends. At the moment, that doesn't look likely.

I guess we'll see.