Chapter One: A Black Dawn

Long ago, the land of Farir witnessed a mighty war. There was a tremendous evil that loomed over the entire kingdom. Unrestrained, monsters and demons wreaked havoc to fulfill their sinister objectives. The kingdom, after a century of battle, summoned the High Mage and requested his aid in saving their realm. To save the kingdom, the High Mage found an unexpected being. A warrior, alone and from nowhere, with nothing to lose.

Village of Baisle: One Month Before.

At midday in the small village of Baisle, the locals gathered at the farmers' market, exchanging goods and conversation. By the outskirts of town, a small girl, her brother, and their dog played, running and laughing. The dog noticed something on the edge of the wood and started barking. He stopped, ears folded, and his back hair rose. The boy paused, his worried eyes following the dog's gaze. He went towards his young sister, who was busy collecting flowers next to the fence. With a gentle motion, the boy took his sister's hand and dragged her up. In the tree line, the children caught sight of two glowing red eyes. The boy carried his sister and ran to the village. Barking as loud as he could, the dog followed and ran ahead of the pair. They came running into the market when the red eyes moved into the sunlight, its monstrous form terrifying enough to haunt even the most experienced soldier's dreams. The creature raised its head and howled into the sky. Villagers returned to the location where kids were, witnessing imminent events as more creatures emerged at the tree line. The moment Farir's land embraced an old darkness, history repeated itself.

Capital of Farir: Present Day

The night was clear, unlike the previous cloudy nights from recent storms. It was a cold fall evening, the land outside already freezing when the sun set. The armored man on the palace balcony appeared unaffected by the cold. He had dark brown hair and bright sea-blue eyes. His armor lacked any elaborate embellishments, reflecting a modest and uncomplicated design for a knight in the capital. As Captain of the guard, he saw himself as equal to his men. He was a warrior and a peacekeeper. Arden was observing the city below him, his eyes faraway. She grinned and shifted next to him, gazing at the city sparkling in the evening.

She glanced briefly at Arden, then returned to the view, before focusing on his face. She let out a sigh and said, "He's still going, Arden. You're the only one who can reason with him."

"Cynric is a crazy young magic user with no self-concern, my Lady Anastasia. You know he means well. Except for blood, he's my brother in every aspect. I'll go talk to him, maybe persuade him to take a break. Have we had any more attacks since the one in the village of Baisle?"

The woman shook her head and argued, "Not a word. He should have arrived already and will return soon. We have had reports of more creatures being spotted on the wood edges. No other attacks. What concerns Cynric about these attacks?" Arden uttered, "Because he is a smart man, my dear..." He turned and headed back inside the palace, the Lady following him as two guards opened the double wooden doors open for her, closing them after she passed them.

Upon entering, they came across the war room. Imagine a room resembling a ballroom, complete with expansive windows and a massive table placed in the middle. The table showcased a 3D model of the kingdom, carved with various pieces representing different groups and races. The Council of Elders and the high-ranking military used the large room as their main meeting location. Weapons and shields adorned the walls, which they passed to access the door and hallway. Suits of armor and paintings of men and women lined the stone hallway. Midway down the hallway, Arden halted at a door and faced the princess.

"I better speak with him alone. It might take a while. I will see you later?" She smiled and touched his cheek.

"Don't take too long, my love... the Council of Elders wishes to speak to you concerning the defense plans... He smirked and took her hand, kissing it before turning to the door as his love beamed at him and headed past him the hallway. He sighed and knocked on the door, waiting for an answer. In the next moment, he frowned and proceeded into the workshop. He entered what used to be a library, now resembling a chaotic whirlwind. Hundreds of books and scrolls lined the walls. Few huge round tables filled the room, papers, and open books scattered everywhere. A man with white hair sat in the library, on a stepladder, studying an enormous book and murmuring as he read. He was a young man, maybe mid-twenties. His hair was as white as snow for being so young. Despite the dark shadows and unshaven face, his bright eyes remained focused as he read down the page. Closing the door, Arden approached the young man, shaking his head as he walked around the tables.