What Was Missing

There was something in the back of my mind that made me wonder whether I had forgotten something or not.

We were just on our way home from the art exhibit, and I tightly held mother's hand, watching her and father debate what we were going to eat for lunch. I stay quiet; I was only a shy, obedient nine-year-old at this time. There was nothing much to say anyway. However, there were a couple of thoughts about the exhibit. The art that was displayed scared me a little... They were simply strange.

The adults found it all fascinating, but of course I didn't see it at all. The headless mannequins, the lady cloaked in red with a creepy smile, and a sleeping man? They called that art? Then again, I was only nine. I recall mother having me to read the name of each creation aloud, wanting me to practice my English. I didn't mind; I did just what I was told. Mother even let me wander around the gallery for a little while and observe the sculptures and paintings all by myself.

I think the only piece of art I liked was the rose sculpture. The Embodiment of Spirit was my favorite. Whenever I looked at it, I always will think in my head: "Wow, that's so cool!" It was just beautiful and a huge masterpiece. It wasn't just a rose sculpture; you can tell the artist, Weiss Guertena, worked pretty hard on it, paid attention to the littlest of details, and added his own artistic taste. The Embodiment of Spirit was absolutely my favorite.

There were other creations that were attractive to the nine-year-old me's eyes, like the painting of the cat and the painting of the lady reading her newspaper. Thinking about it now, Guertena's other art were quite "thought-provoking" and perhaps dark too. Somehow, I find it creepy that my parents were fond of his art. What's more creepy is the fact that I've had a "strange voyage" while I was observing the art by myself.

I'm pretty sure it involved a rose. The Embodiment of Spirit, maybe? There, I might have met a stranger too. He was a nice man, and then he guided me throughout the art gallery. I believe I used to have a crush on him. Thinking about him now still leaves me with butterflies within my stomach. Then again, that was something that happened five years ago... It was just a happy memory of mine. A really happy memory that I miss so much.