Chapter 1

Darkness, and a slight pain in her head, at least compared to others she has suffered in her life, a sensation that was buried deep in her memory similar to how Hueco Mundo's desert buries every trace of those who fall inert. But the pain was there again, returning as if sands dissipated just to reveal its presence, everything else was still covered. That unexpected visit tempted her to stay submerged in the dark, it was a gentler company.

"You scared of me?! Soul Reaper!!!"

That voice... was much more familiar than her pain, and in some incredible way evoked much more cruelty. It should motivate her even more to go into a deep slumber but against all logic, that piercing scream was what made her reject that call. She needed to know what happened, the shadow began to fade slowly and her eyes gradually caught the glimpse of a figure. With that alone a part of her memory cleared, not much but enough to say one name.

"Nnoi... tra?"

The world stopped as she slurred out those sounds, perhaps it was a hallucination but she felt they left her mouth before the Quinta Espada touched the ground. She didn't know where she got strength from but she managed to get up, awkwardly approaching while drawing everyone's gaze.

"Nel, what are you trying to do?" Orihime asked worriedly catching the little Arrancar before she fell again.

"Please bring me closer to him," the girl almost begged now with a more lucid mind.

"I don't think that's good for you..."

"Please!" Seeing Nel's eyes the young woman knew that any attempt to reason would be useless, she'd seen that look many times before, and surely many others had seen it in her. Without saying another word, just offering a sad smile, Orihime took the little girl and brought her closer to the loser of the battle that just a few minutes ago shook the sky.

"Kenny?" The Lieutenant of Squad 11 addressed her captain, that Soul Reaper who'd emerged victorious.

"This is over, we have nothing more to do here. Besides, I'm feeling an interesting energy in that direction." He declared pointing his Zanpakuto of unknown identity to the desert, the girls were free to do whatever they wanted with his recently defeated opponent, that was none of his business. In his own words the fight against the Espada had been fun, but his life philosophy was very simple, when a battle ends you look for the next one.

"Cool! And since the desert has no roads and you only have to follow a straight line, you won't get us lost like you always do." Yachiru replied, always enthusiastic and as usual with much less protocol than most subordinates, jumping to her favorite spot on Kenpachi's shoulder.

"Most of those times were your fault..." her superior muttered irritated as they walked away from that place.

Now alone the two girls looked at Nnoitra with solemnity. Nel got to her knees and placed both hands on his back, her childlike mind already resigned to the reality, until she detected that something inside him was still moving almost imperceptibly.

"He's alive! Nel felt it, he's still breathing. Orihime please help me turn him over," she said with tears lurking in her eyes.

The sudden request made the teenager take a step back, but she couldn't say no, Nel was too small to do it herself and Ichigo was still recovering. It was difficult but with effort she managed to place him on his back, trying as much as possible not to look. Orihime was a compassionate soul but she couldn't help it, she still felt nauseated at the thought of that man's fingers inside her throat, forcing her to watch Ichigo scream at the top of his lungs in pain as his bones cracked one by one.

She was immersed in those horrible memories for only a few seconds, because soon the bizarre image of Nel regurgitating a viscous fluid on Nnoitra's chest took all her attention.