Rising Moon

Some days start off as normal as the blue sky on a clear day.  Others can begin as hectic as a tornado during a hurricane.  But the way the day starts never decides the rest of the day.  Just because one has a terrible or normal morning, that doesn’t mean the rest of the day would start off normally.  Take my day for example.

Just like so many days of the year before, my day started off with my cat, Midnight, pawing at my window from the tree outside.  Now, she isn’t just a normal cat that would just simple paw a few times, meow some more, then leave.  No, she’s a persistent cat and basically yells at my window “Get up and feed me or I’ll bust your mental capacity with my ruckus.”  That is, if she could talk.  But she’s a cat, not a human, or that’s what I usually thought.

I sat up groggily and glared slightly at the window across from my bed.  I could see my cat’s pitch-black fur and her bright blue eyes sparkling with annoyance.  She continued to bang her front paws and tail against my window and meowed in annoyance.  Sometimes I think she’s actually a long-lost sister of mine because of her attitude, but that would be absurd. 

“I’m coming, you annoying cat!” I yelled at the window as I walked over to the glass.  Midnight back away slightly from the branch, and I slid my window up, letting the annoying creature jump in without any hesitation.  She rubbed against my leg, purring loudly and trying to make me forgive her.  I puffed out my cheek in annoyance, as I usually do towards my cat, and picked her up.  “You’re really a big fuss, you know,” I said to her as I looked at her in my arms.  “I don’t even know why I let you stay with me, sometimes. Gram and Gramps would love to get rid of you.”

Midnight peered up at me with those giant blue orbs of hers as if to say, “But you love me too much to get rid of me. Besides, I would still bug you to get food if you threw me out.”

I sighed and tossed her towards my bed in annoyance. “Why don’t you just go down stairs and get your food. You know I know that you’re fully capable of that.”

Midnight looked over at me and meowed gratefully. Dang genius cat. If I didn’t know better, I would have that she was a person stuck inside a cat’s body.  I sighed in annoyance as Midnight disappeared down the dark hallway and trotted downstairs to the kitchen.  She was such a troublemaker some times and my grandparents would be more than happy to get rid of her. But my uncle had given her to me when I was five years old and also right after I had lost my memory in a freak biking accident. Some older idiot thought it would be funny to challenge an elementary student to a biking race I had made a wrong turn, hitting a pothole and flipping off my bike over, giving me a nasty concussion. Not a fun thing, luckily I don’t remember a bit of it or anything that happened before in my life. The only evidence of the whole accident was a rather nasty scar hidden under my mob of hair and a slight scar right above my ear.

Flipping my hair over my shoulder, I started to head towards my small bathroom connected to my room. The small sink was covered in paint stains from my previous projects where I had to portrait my own face. I started to brush my teeth and hair at the same time to save time. As I multitasked, I gazed into the mirror in front of me to make sure I untangled all of my knots in my hair. My deep green eyes gazed back at me lazily, for sleep still hadn’t left me. Soon, my choppy light-brown hair was tamed and my teeth cleaned. Ten minutes later I had slipped into my white blouse with a tight black half-vest stopping at my stomach, a pair of black skinny jeans that substituted my required short, white skirt, and converse I substituted for the dress shoes that never was delivered. Man, I hate uniforms.

A small meow caught my attention as I looked down at Midnight sitting at my feet, a small ordainment hanging from her mouth. It looked to be a silver bracelet with a large crescent moon charm.

“Where did you find this, Midnight?” I asked in confusion as I bent down to her height. The piece of jewelry was quite captivating and seemed familiar, like I saw it in a distant dream.

She placed the bracelet on the ground and starred up at me as if ordering me to put it on. I gave my cat a questioning look. Where in the world could a simple outside cat like her get her paws on such a pretty charm? Midnight meowed, continuing to stare up at me with those big blue orbs of hers. I sighed in defeat, picking up the bracelet and slipping it on. I normally didn’t wear any jewelry, but I knew what Midnight could be like one she wanted me to do something.

“Happy now?” I asked sarcastically while standing straight up.

Midnight meowed happily as if responding, “Yes, I quite am.”

Man, my cat can be such a pain. She always brought out these strange objects to me and did the weirdest things for a cat. She never seemed to chase mice or anything, she refuses to eat normal cat food and will only eat fish or chicken, she comes from inside to outside as if she was a normal person, and loves to mess with my grandparents by slipping into their room and hiding underneath their bed in the middle of the night while moaning like a ghost.  Who knows what’s wrong with that strange animal. It was as if someone had stuck a teenager in her body or something.