Good night, sweet dreams

Malleus Draconia was walking around the decrepit Ramshackle Dorm after midnight. He had of course sneaked out from the Diasomnia dorm without Sebek or Silver noticing as he enjoyed the lonely atmosphere these walks provided. Sometimes he felt the same as these forgotten and unkempt statues and gardens - forgotten by the rest of the world, life going on without them. Yet they, and him, were the witnesses of that life, for it flowed past them through the rivers of time upon the shores of which Malleus stood, ever an onlooker to the fleetingness of human lives.

The moon was not full tonight and it was quite cloudy, but that didn't matter for he had the eyes of a dragon. He confidently navigated the overgrown paths, the thorny plants themselves making way for him, as if they sensed who he was.

Lost in thought, he realized he had drifted further into the small forest when a squirrel rushed by him. It stopped and looked back at him, its small nose twitching, then it hopped on deeper into the trees.

Curious, he followed it down a path he was sure he had never gone before, even though he had explored these parts of the school campus for 3 years now. That was odd, but he was after all a fairy. He understood paths sometimes appeared and disappeared unannounced, especially in a place thick with magic such as this one.

He came upon an ancient stone wall, and further down, overgrown with vines, there was a still-intact part of it with something protruding from the top...

He gasped audibly at what he saw. There, on that wall, was a solitary gargoyle. He could see the remnants of its brethren but it was the only one left. And even this one seemed far into decay.

His heart beat with bitter fascination as he drifted up to it. It had an open mouth with sharp teeth and small horns coming out of its head. It was put at an angle which would allow the rainwater to flow down its back, where a trough was cut into it which allowed it to flow through the gargoyle's extended neck and through its mouth. He could tell that it had served its purpose well and his heart was captured by its beauty, yet it ached when he looked at the other stumps where other similar gargoyles had once been placed. It was all alone now, unable to leave its place, to abandon its function... Much like...

He shook his head. He did not want to allow such thoughts to taint this fated encounter.

He ran his hand gently up its neck. It was covered in moss and vines. He could remove them. He could restore it. With his magic, he could...

'No,' he said to himself. 'I can't ruin you for my selfishness. Your current form is proof of your life, isn't it? Of the long years you have served your purpose.'

His hand stopped, resting lightly on its winged back.

'And I suppose you miss your friends.'

Soft rain wet Malleus's horns and hair. He paid it no heed, looking into the gargoyle's eyes. It almost felt as if it looked back, understanding.

Of course he knew that was unlikely. The rain grew stronger.

'But allow me to give you my blessing, for I am glad to have met you this night, and I know not if we can meet again...'

He pat the gargoyle's head and a soft green light shone around it. Suddenly it was as if the rain did not fall down it.

'I do not mean to interfere with your duty, friend, but this rain is indeed my fault. Please rest until it settles down.'

He sat down in the air by the gargoyle and looked up at the cloudy sky, thankful everybody else was asleep right now, yet somewhat envious. Still, he hoped everyone had good dreams tonight and awakened rested in the morning. He put his hand back on the gargoyle and he felt a sense of calm. He smiled.

'Good night.' he whispered.