Whole Story

Our story starts in Terre Haute, Indiana. The date is May 4, 2015, history has run a similar course as the one you know. The only difference is that Abraham Lincoln was assassinated before slavery was ended. Due to this change slavery still exists in The United States; Slave trades are made in Indianapolis, Indiana's capital.

As a caucasian man in Indiana, Noah Winchester has seen many slaves. His History Professor at Indiana State University even has one who passes out papers, or fetches him water when he is lecturing. However, Noah does not have the money to afford a slave. He barely has the money to go to college. He works two jobs to afford college and a dormitory. Noah left New Mexico to get away from his childhood memories, where he was bullied for being the "weakest, shortest kid in school." Before college he tried to stay local in Stanley, New Mexico but everywhere he turned there was a reminder of his past creeping up behind him.

One day Noah was rushing to finish cleaning the kitchen after the restaurant closed. As he worked he overheard the late night news report; he slows down to pay attention.

"I'm Amy Marie" the TV blared, "I'm on scene reporting from the latest slave execution." Noah was sick of these stories; it seemed every other day he heard about "owners" killing their "property" for not working as hard as possible. Something about this story was different though; his curiosity made him listen again. He missed part of the report but he caught the end of it.

"The first fugitive was executed for running from the owner and avoiding arrest." Amy seemed to list these "crimes" with a hint of boredom, "the second slave was put down for murdering his owner." Noah didn't blame either victims; he wouldn't want to be a piece of property. He would have ran or maybe even attacked someone trying to "own" him. Slavery wasn't right in his mind. He was getting annoyed with this news report.

"The third black was put down for having the audacity to refuse standing beside her owner so a white housewife could sit for the ride." Put down? Put down was not the way to refer to murdering a human being. How could anyone say that? This enraged him. He wanted to smash the television. He grew tired of slavery over the years but this was enough. He was overwhelmed with hate toward the government.

Suddenly, in all his rage the dishes in the sink began vibrating. He thought he was in an earthquake until he realized that the sink was the only thing moving. He creeps toward the sink in a confused yet still enraged state. As he touching the first stack of dishes the metal sink crumbles and the dishes shatter with an outward force. He is thrown backward and slams into the fridge. In his dazed mind he flees the restaurant. He runs and doesn't look back. He leaves his dorm and moves in with a friend on the Illinois side of the border. Luckily she never asks why he left without notice; this is a friend he could trust though.

Noah is still terrified by what happened but he starts to notice strange things around the apartment. Mackenzie, his new roommate, needed him to move the couch so she could clean. When he moved it the couch seemed very light in his hands but gave him a terrible headache. He went to the bathroom to get medicine and found the cabinet door wide open with the medicine bottle rolling around in the sink.

He got a strange feeling of wonder and dread. He stopped the bottle from rolling. Only, he didn't do it with his hands... He thought about it not moving and it simply stopped. It even stood upright. He was amazed, but his headache severely worsened. He cried out in pain, at least in his head. He knew he didn't make any noise out loud, but Mackenzie calls down the hall.

"Are you okay Noah?" she yelled with a tone of worry. "I thought I heard you groan like you were right next to me, but I was alone in my room."

"What are you talking about?" he questioned, wondering "Does she know my secret?"

"What secret?" she asked with a puzzled look. Her eyes seemed to be staring directly into his mind. He imagined himself alone, where no one could hear him before continuing his thoughts.