Vulnerability and the Path to One's Success

Character Descriptions -

Name: Nicole Scherzinger

Age: 31

Though she is a strong-willed musician who has a large following she feels insecure about herself and the work she creates. Her emotions are held within and eventually boil to the surface when the stress becomes too much to handle.

She is married to fellow character Evgeni Nabokov and is the mother of Ke'ala.

Name: Evgeni Nabokov

Age: 34

Since he plays the typical husband role he remains kind and reassuring when his wife's problems are finally exploited.

He is married to fellow character Nicole Scherzinger and is the father of Ke'ala.

Name: Michael Jackson

Age: 50

He is strictly business and finds success to be the most important part of life. Though he wants to be supportive he feels that lost ground needs to be made up and basically doesn't have time for Nicole's life problems.

He is the manager and boss of Nicole and also produces all of her music. 

Name: Ke'ala

Age: 4

Being that she is a young child she is naive and doesn't understand the issues that are being discussed.

She is the daughter of Nicole and Evgeni.

Setting and Introduction -

This scene takes place during the summer of 2010 in a Los Angeles studio. Business is booming and music is the sole resource for money in the entertainment world. Competition between various music labels and artists is at an all time high. "MJJ Recordings" is the most successful label in the business and is expected to produce quality music month in and month out. Michael Jackson, founder and president of "MJJ Recordings," is extremely popular and has brought forth the hottest new sensation, Nicole Scherzinger. She consistently sells out arenas and grabs hold of the number one slot on The Billboard Hot 100 list. She is in the process of making her next, highly anticipated, new album (produced by Mr. Jackson) when problems begin to occur.

[The camera centers in the middle of the room where we find Nicole in the sound booth recording vocals for her final song under the watchful eye of Michael. Evgeni and Ke'ala are sitting on the couch at the very far end of the room killing time since they have been in the same building for nearly the entire day.]

(Music is playing in the background)

Michael: "This doesn't sound right." (Turns off recorder and faces Nicole)

              "Where's the emotion?"

Nicole: "What do you mean?"

Michael: "This is completely bland. You obviously don't feel the words you are speaking. That won't sell."

Nicole: "I'm pretty sure I'm "feeling" these words."

Michael: (Turning towards Evgeni for support) "Who would want to buy this? The person singing doesn't believe the message that they're supplying."

Evgeni: "It doesn't sound too bad to me."

Michael: "That's just it. You said "too" bad. That means it doesn't sound great. It doesn't sound fantastic. Do you think I could put out music that doesn't sound fantastic?"

Evgeni: "I guess not."

Michael: "See?" (Speaking to Nicole) "Now, I want you to really feel the music."

Nicole: "I'll try."

Michael: " No. You won't try. You will do."

Nicole: "Yeah, sure."

[Michael turns the recorder back on and patiently waits for Nicole's vocals while Evgeni and Ke'ala become restless.]

(Nicole begins singing)

Michael: (Turning the music back off) "What's up?"

Nicole: "I'm confused. What am I doing wrong?"

Michael: "There is obviously a problem and I want to know what it is."

Nicole: "I have no problem."

Michael: "You've always struggled with the intense songs. When it comes to the so called "club bangers" you're fine, but when emotion and meaning come into play it's another story."

Nicole: "All I can think about is the stupid photoshoots that I'll eventually have to do and those damn red     carpet appearances."

Michael: "What does all of that have to do with recording a song?"

Nicole: (In a frustrated manner) "I'm stressed!"

Evgeni: (Sensing a problem) "What's wrong?"

Nicole: "I look like crap, my voice sounds horrible, and have you read those blogs lately?"

Ke'ala: (speaking rather excitedly) "You're pretty mommy!"

Nicole: "Thanks, hon'. But that's coming from a four-year old."

Evgeni: "First of all, you look fine. Second, this song is great, you just need to believe the words a little more. And I told you those blogs are worthless. Forget what they say about you. It's all crap anyway!"

Nicole: (starting to cry) "Well that doesn't change the fact that I'm on a prestigious label, making music for an icon, and every song I've made sounds like a fork being shoved down a garbage disposal!"

Michael: (feeling offended) "Whoa! I wouldn't go that far! Not only are you insulting yourself, but now you're insulting me."

Nicole: "It's definitely not you. I can't give these songs the justice they deserve."

Michael: "Do you think I would sign any bimbo from the street to record for my label to sing my songs?"

Nicole: "Probably not."

Michael: (growing impatient and annoyed) "Okay then. Can we please get this song finished? We're way behind schedule and I'm simply running out of time."

Nicole: (feeling much better) "Sure." (Speaking with a soft giggle)

[They finally complete the album and are capable of releasing the music on time. Once Nicole's album hits stores nationwide Michael, Nicole, Evgeni, and yes, even Ke'ala await the official numbers.]

(The camera relocates to the right end of an office-style room. All four characters are standing near a telephone with the hopes of hearing good news.)

Michael: "The anticipation is killing me!"

Nicole: "Killing you? Killing me!"

(The telephone rings and Michael answers in a nervous manner.)

Michael: (talking on the phone) "So this is final?" (pause) "Great, thanks."

Nicole: (impatiently speaking) "So...?"

Michael: "You sold 1.3 million in an eight day span! You're number 1!"

(All characters celebrate the success. The camera fades out with the sounds of screams and high-fives in the background.)

The End!