First Glance

It's strange, this world. It's funny how humanity likes to influence each-other's decisions on everything. Now, for this the majority may look at politics and Election Day as an obvious example of influence. However, I'm focusing my example on love. Love is a strange thing, which humans seem to think they can predict. But it's not as simple as picking somebody from the crowd and simply being in love. It's not just love at first sight. It isn't what is is made out to be in the movies, with two words of dialogue and you know it's meant to be. Love is unpredictable. You never know who you're going to fall hopelessly in love. You never know how... and you can't control it. Love is something so abnormal yet so powerful it could even knock the most study soldier off his feet. Love is strange and strong, and it's never wrong. True love is never wrong. Most adults think that true love never happens in high school, that it's just horny teenagers trying to get laid while in a spell, slowly leading them into the hoax of love. But sometimes... sometimes love does spark in high school. Love can get it right at the age of fourteen. It just takes years to realise.

My tale begins at Lilyshore Grammar School. It was a fairly decent school, with over 1,000 pupils attending from various different cultural backgrounds. I currently reside in a small village just outside Lisburn, situated in Northern Ireland with both my mother and my father. I had a hint of a Belfast accent, or at least that's what I've been told by several of my fellow peers. I guess they could tell it apart from the typical English accent Lilyshore had going for it. In Year Eight, I was lucky enough to be placed in 8E, surrounded by uncultured idiots. My classmates were extremely cautious of me, like I was some serious disease like the Plague. While everybody sat around at the tables at lunch, I would sit in the wind-down area the school would provide for their students, reading the latest issue of The Walking Dead. The room was set up rather picturesque, might I add. There were various different tables with three, blue seats situated at each. The rule, that was plastered on every poster contained in this space was clear. Only three to a table.

By the time Year Nine strolled along (might I add, it took its sweet damn time), I was ready for a change of heart from my idiotic classmates. I shouldn't have been surprised whenever my stray hopes didn't come to plan. They treated me just as harshly and so I did so in return. I would return every uneasy stare with a hostile glare, establishing my unheard dominance. I sat solemnly at the back right hand corner, waiting patiently for our form Tudor to finally decide to come and watch over the chaotic bunch we are. I'm surprised all our subject teachers still left us alone in a room after the mess we left our French room in one time. The detention was so worth it though, our French teacher was awful. The son of a bitch deserved it. He had it coming.

Our Head of Year slowly strode into the room, her face looking stern and seriously, not welcoming any mischievous grins my class had to greet her with. Slowly those smirks were wiped off their face, and boy was I glad to see the miracle happen. Her hair fell into a bob slowly below her ears, around an inch. She wore a pair of thin-lenses glasses similar to the pair I wore my my face. She was definitely not in the mood for 9E's mischief, that's for sure. "Now, 9E," she greeted coley, the shrill sound of her voice piercing my ears, sending a large chill down my underdeveloped spine. "I have a special surprise for you all today," she continued, ignoring the awkward stares we all gave her, blinking blankly as we tried to figure out what it could be.

"Since the departure of James Parkinson, you have a free space in your register, correct?" the head asked, waiting for almost sterile nods, afraid to answer the question with a simple but effective yes. "Well then, I would like to introduce you to your new classmate, Caitlin Lockheart," she announced as a shy girl, who looked slightly younger than me, shuffled into the room, her eyes straying to the slightly unclean floor below her small-appearing feet.

"Hey, she's sexy, fit and she must be smart to get into this school," I heard a boy, Casper Maxwell, cat-call towards her.

As soon as I heard that line escape his lips, I mustered up all the confidence I could possibly have and yelled from across the classroom. "If this school is meant to have advanced intellect, how did you get in?" I questioned in my remark, allowing for a lot of the sound ooooooooooh to come from the rest of my surrounding classmates. I sighed reluctantly as I heard a failed attempt at a witty comeback. My comment was better anyway.

"Oh hush up Casper. You too, Ren," the head hissed chillingly. "Okay, Caitlin, you shall take your seat beside Ren Nakahara. You see her down there?" the older female asked, pointing in my direction. In return, I looked back as I fixed up my glasses.

Caitlin nodded and strode towards the only available seat- the seat next to mine. "Oh great," I whispered, not realising that I was thinking aloud at first. "Another close minded eejit to deal with.."

"Well, this sounds like an interesting story," were the first words that I heard come out of Caitlin's mouth as she pulled her chair out, allowing her enough room to slip in beside me. I took my first proper look at the newcomer, eying her up and down.

Long, blonde hair reaching down to her breasts, aqua green eyes... I prayed she wasn't as ditsy and brainless as her appearance made her out to be. I offered her a small, welcoming smile. "Not all of us are blundering, sex-driven maniacs," I chuckled, making the newbie laugh as well. "Some of us are capable of intelligent conversations as well."

"I would appreciate one," Caitlin replied, giggling as she looked around at her new classmates.

Boy, was this going to be an interesting year.