return

a/n ~ this story has gone soo far and I want to thank everyone who voted, commented, or added this to their library! You are what made it possible!

⚝──⭒─⭑─⭒──⚝

Lo'ak's POV

I returned to the village after bonding time with Payakan to find all my friends out of sight.

Where is everyone?

"LO'AK!" some shouted as I wandered around. Oh, shit. I would recognize that voice anywhere.

"Dad." I mumbled, turning around. An excuse immediately popped into my mind. I could just tell him I went hunting-practicing. "I-"

Instead of the usual "where the flippity flop have you been", Dad hissed and shook his head.

"Follow me."

Surprised, I did as told. I was already lucky he didn't scold me. For now, I'd just go along and test my chances. What a short response, though.

"Where are we going?" I probed curiously. "Did something happen?"

He growled. "Something happened, all right."

Feeling uncomfortable now, I stopped asking questions in fear of bad answers. What if someone died while I was gone? Actually, Dad didn't seem that worried, so no one died. Hopefully.

We stopped at the entrance of a seemingly crowded hut.

"What's going on?" I asked, trying to peer through. Despite being 7'7, I was still short. The only others I was taller than were Tuk and Spider. Who was captured on an enemy ship, may I add. Life was crazy at the time.

"Tsireya and Rotxo took the others to the Cove of the Ancestors to see the Spirit Tree." Jake explained. He hesitated. "There was an... accident."

"I feel like you missed a really important plot point. And what could happen at the Spirit Tree? Isn't that like the safest, most sacred place ever?"

He didn't answer. He was definitely keeping something from me.

"Come on!" I was frustrated now. "Tell me what's going on!"

"I called Max and Norm over before you came back. Chief Tonowari asked me to."

"What does Chief Tonowari have to do with this??"

"Lo'ak, don't freak out but—"

A shriek interrupted him, and a very crazed Ronal shoved people away ruthlessly, including us, as she pushed her way into the hut.

"Let me see my daughter! What are all these for?!" she screeched from inside, obviously finding Norm and Max's equipment.

Dad made an oh-great-mother-I-fricked-up face.

"Ronal, I just wanted Jake Sully to help us—" Chief Tonowari began.

"Get out!" She shouted. "Get OUT!"

I was extremely confused. "What's gotten into her?"

"Oh, oh! Y/N! Y/N!" I heard her cry. I tensed immediately. Y/N?

"Yeah, so..." Dad scratched his neck awkwardly. "...Y/N kind of passed out."

"WHAT?! You didn't mention that! Is she ok??!"

"She hasn't woken up yet."

This time it was me pushing past the crowd and bursting into the hut tent.

"Lo'ak!" Tsireya exclaimed. She sounded scared. "What are you doing here?"

I glanced around to see her, Kiri, Tuk, Rotxo, and Neteyam all huddled towards the back.