𝙏𝙃𝙄𝙍𝙏𝙔-𝙁𝙊𝙐𝙍

"It's hard to turn the page, when you know someone won't be in the next chapter, but the story must go on..."
-Mary-

Maya rests in the hospital bed after getting her bandages changed

Maya rests in the hospital bed after getting her bandages changed. She was still hurting, but Derek was by her side the whole time. A knock came from the door and both Maya and Derek stopped mid conversation and looked over to see Hotch standing in the doorway.

"I just wanted to say I'm glad you are okay, Agent Regan" Hotch gives his comforting words as gives her a handshake. "You two take as much time as you need" Hotch says and Maya and Derek lock eyes, both of them stammering to find the right words before Maya looks to Hotch. "About that..."

"We were thinking it's time we move onto other things. This job puts us at a higher risk of being a target and in danger... we don't want to be the targets anymore" Derek informs and Hotch looks between the couple with an accepting smile, but sad eyes.

"We still want to catch the bad guys, but right now we need to focus on ourselves and the family we want to start" Maya adds, Derek grabbing her hand reassuringly.

"It's going to be hard saying goodbye. There's not many agents like you two" Hotch says as Maya smiles brightly from the compliment. "This is for the best" Derek voices before he and Hotch share a meaningful and sincere handshake that turns into a brotherly hug.

"What's all the hugging about?" Rossi asks as he walks in with a bouquet of flowers and hands them to Maya gracefully before both Maya and Derek explain their decision to leave the team and focus on themselves and their family.

"You two will be amazing parents. And I'll be a great uncle Dave!" Rossi cheers as he bends down and places a kiss on the top of Maya's head before bringing Derek in for a hug. "You two take care" Hotch says before he and Rossi leave the hospital room, allowing Maya and Derek to dwell on their impulsive, but needed, decision.

"We're really doing this" Maya sighs as she gently sets the flowers down on her nightstand. "I wouldn't want to do with anyone else."

NATALIE

A few days later, Maya was able to leave the hospital. She came back to the office, the rest of the team knowing about their departure and Natalie was the first-person Maya wanted to see. "How are you feeling?" Natalie asks as she places a reassuring hand on Maya's shoulder before Maya waves her off, letting her know that she's just fine.

"I wanted to give you something, you know, before you go" Natalie says as she and Maya take a seat next to each other and Natalie pulls out a large picture, that's framed, out of her work bag. "What's this?" Maya says as she is handed the medium portrait and when she sees what is in the framed, her heart melts with happiness.

"I had Garcia find a picture of your mom and she found this one of you and her. It was one of the only ones she could find so I had someone draw it out and frame it" Natalie says and Maya traces her fingers over the neatly drawn picture of her and her mother.