prologue

-Unedited-subject to change-

Recluse

Prologue 

Ohio, 1995

    Natalia and Ekaterina are riding their bikes down their home street, towards Natalia's house, where Nat's little sister, Yelena, and Kat's little sister, Anika are playing. Nat whistles to Yelena, and Kat hums to Anika, both younger siblings repeating their older siblings. Yelena and Anika get off their swings and run over to their older siblings. Yelena and Nat go into a bridge, and Anika and Kat both do handstands. 

"We're all upside-down." Yelena giggles. 

"Yeah, and I bet you are going to fall down first." Nat smirks.

"Not if Anika falls before her." Kat adds, walking in her handstand.

"No, you two will fall first." Yelena says, concentrating.

"Yeah, you can't hold it much longer, can you, Katya?" Anika teases.

Both Anika and Yelena fall at the same time, then Katya turns to Nat, looking at her as if challenging her. Nat smirks the kicks up from her bridge into a handstand. 

"Come on, we want to play too! Can't you guys just call a truce?" Anika whines. 

"Yeah!" Yelena agrees. 

Katya and Nat smirk, and then come down from their handstands. They look at each other, nod, then start chasing their younger sibling. "Tag, you're it Anika!" Kat calls. "You too, Yelena!" Nat exclaims. They start running away from their younger siblings, who then accidentally bump heads, both crashing to the ground. 

Both younger girls start sniffling. "Mommy!" Yelena calls out. "Mama!" Cries Anika.

Two women come out of the house, one being Melina Vostocoff, Natalia and Yelena's mother, the other being Alyona Petrova, who is Ekaterina and Anika's mother. "What's wrong darling?" Alyona asks Anika. "What happened?" Melina asks. "They bumped into each other..." Katya starts. "And Yelena fell on her knee..." Nat continued. "And Anika scraped her elbow." Katya finished.

"You both bumped into each other?" Alyona asks. "Yeah," Anika whimpers. "And you bumped your knee, and you, your elbow?" Melina asks, the younger two. "Mmm-hmm." Yelena whines. 

Both women kiss their younger daughters boo-boos. "They're you go, all better." Alyona tells Anika. "There we go." Melina says to Yelena. 

"Come on you two. You're both okay, come on. You're both brave girls. Your pain only makes you stronger." Melina tells the two little girls.

"Right, you two?" Alyona asks the older two who had climbed up the playset.

"Yeah." Nat says.

"Yeah?" Alyona asks Katya."

She nods.

"Look! Forest stars."

Nat goes over to her mother and sister, while Alyona has Katya take Anika in for a band aid. "What's for dinner, Katya?" Anika asks her older sister, as the brunette sets her sister on the kitchen island, while she looks for a band-aid. "I don't know, Anika, I think we're having dinner here." She says, grabbing the first aid kit off of the top of their fridge. 

...

Alyonya, Melina, Katya, Nat, Anika, and Yelena were sitting at the table, the children eating mac and cheese, and the adults eating caviar, when two pairs of footsteps entered the front door.