The life you lived...

You watch the officers take him away, tears streaming down your cheeks.
You then turn around and walk away. Your mother follows you inside the house. She grabs your arm, making you turn around.
"How could you?" You ask.
"I had to.."
"No, you didn't have to!" You interrupted her.
"I love him, more than you ever could think!"
"No, you don't, you just think you do"
You let out a sigh, kneeling down to take off your heels. You straighten up again, looking straight at your mother with glistening eyes.
Then you walk away to your room, this time your mother doesn't follow you. She just watches you go.
5 years later, the war has started. You're nurse at hospital, which is located on the country side. You just needed to get as far as you could get from your family, from your old life, from your past.
You are putting the supplies away at the storage room, when nurse running by says that there are soldiers coming. You run out of the room, following her, rounding the corners until you reach the lobby, which is swarmed with soldiers and nurses. You get right to helping the soldiers as best as you can. Then you are asked to tend to one specific soldier. They say he's asking you, you hurry towards the room, where the injured soldiers are located in.
You see the area secluded from the other area with plain light brown curtains. You move the curtains, slipping inside. You turn around, seeing him lying on the bed. You stare at him, he looks at you.
"Robbie" You whisper.
"Y/N" He whispers back.
You walk to his bedside, sitting down. He grasps your hand, squeezing it gently. You let your eyes check him out for any injuries. Only one you can see is that he has his arm bandaged. You put your lips against his, kissing him. He puts his arm around your shoulders, pulling you closer. You break the kiss, putting your foreheads together.
"You have to back to the battlefront, don't you?"
"I don't know, but I hope not"
You nod.
"Can you walk?"
"Yes"
"Then follow me"
He gets up and follows you.
"Now, we'll go and ask someone if you have to go back"
He nods.
"Hey, sir, we have a question for you!" You call out to the higher rank soldier.
"Yes, ma'am?"
"I'd like to know if he has to back to the battlefront?"
"I'm afraid so, we need every single man we can get"
"Alright, thank you, sir"
He raises his hat for you, walking away.
You turn to Robbie, sad look on your face.
He pulls you in for a hug, whispering in you ear:
"Marry me?"
You grab his hand, going to find a church. Soon you're inside the church, holding hands, standing in front of the priest. Robbie's two soldier friends, Nettle and Mace are there as witnesses.
"Now I pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride"
Robbie pulls you closer to him, pressing his lips to yours.
*small timeskip*
You're at the trailway station, saying goodbye to Robbie.
"Come back to me" You whisper in his ear. He says nothing, just kisses you from the train window.
You step down to the ground, holding his hand until it slips from your grasp. You see the train go further and further away, watching it go until it has disappeared from sight.
*another timeskip*
You're at a small house in the village you spent your time with Robbie until he had to leave to go back to the war.
You stand on the balcony, staring at the sea, you haven't heard from him from a long time.
But you know that he'll come back. You go back inside, seeing the higher rank soldier through the window you encountered earlier at the hospital. He's holding a letter, you already know what it reads. You open your front door, collapsing down to your knees, as the notifier approaches you.
"I'm sorry, ma'am, but your husband has died of septicaemia"
You thank him in whisper, he kneels in front of you, putting the letter in your palm, shutting your hand around it. Then he kisses your head, standing up and leaving. You stay on your knees on the ground. Then you hear small footsteps coming towards you.
"Mommy, where's daddy?"
You look up at your and Robbie's children with glistening eyes.
"Daddy isn't coming back"
Your children walk to you, wrapping their small arms around you.
You let out a small cry, whispering:
"Daddy is never coming back"
You shut your eyes, memories flashing through your mind. The day you first met him, the happiest moments of your life with him and last time you ever saw him.
You whisper into the air:
"If you must die, die knowing that your life was my life's best part"
Weeks later after you have buried him, you receive a small package in the mail.
You open it, seeing Robbie's few belongings, including the stack of letters and photos, cigarettes and a lighter. And of course his wedding ring.
You let single tear roll down your cheek, dropping down on the letter on top. It was never delivered to you. You read the text in it.
"I'm coming back to you"
Except he never did.

You're lying on your bed, surrounded by your children and grandchildren, your eldest child is holding your hand.
"Mom, it's okay, go meet dad, you deserve it" The eldest one says, smiling at you.
You smile at them, looking at every and each one of them. You then look up and mouth:
"I'm coming to you, my love"
You shut your eyes and let out your last breath on Earth. Then you open your eyes, letting out your first breath on Heaven, standing inside the house, you smile. You then look around the small house, it's just like you remembered it. Even the knife Robbie did leave on the table is there just like the day he left to go back to the war. You open the balcony door, stepping out. You breathe in the sea air. You lower your gaze to the beach, seeing him standing near the waterline. You smile, running down the balcony stairs.
You come to a stop right in front of him.
"Hello, my love" Robbie says as he turns around to face you. He pulls you into a hug, vowing to himself that he'll never ever let go again.
You pull back, looking up at his dazzling blue eyes.
"I've missed you so, so much"
"I know, love, I know, I've missed you too"
He pulls you against his chest, wrapping his arms around you, watching the sunset together, for the first time but certainly not the last time in forever.
The end.