❦23❦

I won't scream 'I'm back' just yet, but I am taking the 'on hold' tags down so I can start slowly updating again. I'm so sorry for the wait, guys, I didn't think it would be so hard to find motivation over a year ago. Hopefully I can keep up with it again now ❤️
- lily

 Hopefully I can keep up with it again now ❤️ - lily

─────── • ❥ • ───────

Dinner came and went in a blur of bleak conversations and dead ends. Somehow, Donghyuck had managed to evade any questions about his family and his home — if it could even be deemed such a thing. He wore that disarming smile the entire meal, but his gaze wasn't sincere. No, he wanted to be left alone.

Mark brought him upstairs as soon as possible and bid his parents 'goodnight' with the undertone 'please don't bother us or ask too many questions'. He didn't like being this way, but it wasn't everyday a slightly terrifying boy was staying over at your house. His senses heightened to accommodate his fear, his uncertainty.

"I can take the floor," Donghyuck broke the silence between them before turning around in the room to face him. That smile was gone again, and Mark was oddly more comfortable for it. "Do you have spare blankets?"

"It's fine, you can have the bed. I wouldn't be a decent human if I let you take the floor."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"A lot of people choose their own comfort over their guests or friends. I'm offering, so accept."

The ravenette brought his arms around himself loosely and protectively, side-stepping him and travelling to the window exposing the darkness of the night. No stars again, to his dismay. He was starting to miss them. "It must be uncomfortable though. For you..."

"Why? Because I'm boney—?" He tried to play it off, but the elder wasn't baiting.

"Because of your bruises. Lying on them can't feel like paradise, so take the damn bed."

Donghyuck's eyes widened, but only a fraction. Only a brief moment of weakness where his emotions bubbled to the surface of his mask. "Let's share then. Unless, of course, you don't want to."

Mark's shoulders tensed as he turned to look back outside the window. Nobody was about, not even a casual gang of kids like there would be in other places. It was only seven or eight in the evening, but the whole place was desolate. Was it just this town? Or did the trees know Donghyuck was here? The teen immediately shook away the thought and felt guilty for ever imagining it. "We can share. I don't mind." He did, a lot.

"Good." The blonde pulled off his jacket and tossed it to the side, wandering towards the made bed and pulling the duvet back without batting an eyelid.