Prologue

Vina

I saw how the umbrellas were thronged outside as the rain poured alongside the blowing of the bleak winds.

It was a very gloomy day, and the atmosphere is very dull. 

I grabbed my phone from my desk, and curled with my blanket to warm myself.

It has been for six days already, and  I still haven't decided whether or not I should accept Misty's offer. Being a friend, it's hard to reject such requests.

Misty said that she needed an assistant for her custodian of her apartment, and requested me to take that role. Of course, she does not disregard the fact that she will pay me fairly.

But, I keep thinking, since I have got nothing to do in my house, it is only rational to respond and accept Misty's offer, so, after collecting my thoughts I have decided to do this cordial commission.

****

I took a cab and told the driver of my destination which is Misty's apartment and when I got there I noticed how the statues of eagle were perching on the pedestals and on sentinel. It appears that Misty bought those things, those weren't there when I went to visit this place before.

It was classy, I admit, but I did not accept this commission for the purpose of elevating my status. Not to mention, there is nothing in here that would elevate my status anyway.

I noticed the doorbell and I pressed it, causing it to ring. And for a minute or so, the door opened and a familiar face greeted me. It was Reyan, the custodian that Misty hired to look after her apartment.

I've been here before, so I've met him. He's been one of Misty's most trusted confidantes, so I think questioning his function is just a bad idea, and besides, I've been a friend to him already.

"Ah, Miss Vina Winter, it's nice to see you again." he smiled.

"It's nice to see you too, Mr. Oliver." I replied.

He was a man in his mid forties, and yet silver strands were amongst his hair, implying how hefty his works are.

He gestured his hands to welcome me, and indeed I took that sign that I am now welcome to enter the apartment.

"This is more classy than the last time I was here." my eyes roamed the interiors of the apartment. "I don't remember the hallway having statuettes of swallows."

"Yes, Miss Misty Wrens is fond of birds, after all. She bought those statuettes along with the fending eagles outside two months ago." the gentleman smiled simply.

"Classic Misty." I muttered to myself as I smile.

"Miss Wrens informed me of your arrival." Reyan said.

"Yes, she commissioned me to assist you."

I heard Reyan's sigh. "Of course." he had his keys put in his pockets and went on. "You see, we have a new tenant here, and he's a bit unpredictable and whimsical. I'm dealing with many matters now, it would be helpful if you deal with this person."

"Why is that, Mr. Oliver?"

"When he goes outside for a personal excursion or what matters he has, he often leaves his keys in his room, leaving me to wait for him to return in the aparment. His schedule is not fixed, I guess, that's what I noticed from him. As I've said, he is whimsical. I don't know when he's going to appear or disappear. Not to mention, he rarely asks permission from me. And also, there was a time when he returned here at one in the morning. Most of the tenants were already asleep, as for me, I need to stay awake because I have to wait for him."

"What a maverick creature." I said. "Is he a delinquent person somehow, or a drunkard, maybe?"

"Nah, I don't think so. He always returns here with either a strange box or an attache case. I guess, paper thingamajigs and some stuffs related to his works."

"What is his occupation, if I may ask?"  I was beginning to take some interest on this matter. My curiosity is boiling.

"He's an academic scribe or of some sort. Which is quite weird, I don't even know that such a job exists, not until he showed me an ID pertaining to the said job." he sighed again.

"So, is he even acting like an academic scribe?" I chortled.

"I don't know about that. Never have I seen a scribe before. I thought scribes were old jobs, like in ancient Rome or Egypt." Reyan only shrugged.

I'm still curious about him though.

"Oh, before I forget." he took a key from his pocket and handed it to me. "This is your key. Your room is R-10, next to that scribe's."

"You really are making me as a ward, huh?" I left a chuckle only.

"I am only requiring some of your aid, Miss Winter, nothing more." he grinned in a childish manner.

"Very well, Mr. Oliver. I will be on my way to my room." I politely said.

"Do not worry about your stuffs, I'll send the boys here to get it for you." he pointed to the direction of R-3. "If you need anything more, you can visit me in R-0."

"Thank you, Mr. Oliver."