Rushed not Away the Kindness

"Your family is doing what for Valentine's Day?"

"We're going to be feeding the homeless," Jamal said to his girlfriend. "Is there anything wrong with that?"

"I don't know. I've heard of families going and feeding the homeless for Christmas, but not this," she said.

"Oh. Well, my dad and step-mom—and my mom before she passed, they're really big on giving back to the community. But they also feel that the normal holiday season shouldn't be the only time we give back. So, we do the other holidays when the homeless are more likely to feel alone and that nobody cares. And they donate when they're not volunteering."

"Okay, this just sounds too good to be true," his girlfriend said.

"Then, how about you join us, and after, I can take you to a nice dinner, a movie, whatever you want. And you can meet my folks. And my crazy sisters."

"Sounds good," she said.

...

"So, is she going to be a no-show like the last one?" the older of his younger sister asked.

"No. There she is," Jamal said, waving him over.

"She's looking at us weird, though," his younger sister said. "Don't tell the twins."

"I think," but before he could say they would figure it out on their own, she came over.

"Jamal," she said, leaning in close.

"If you're uncomfortable with this, I can ask...."

"No. I was more concerned that you didn't tell me your dad is Rush," she said. "Which makes more sense because WBQL is always talking about giving to the community. So, it's not so too good to be true as I thought."

"I'm not sure I like her," his sister said. "She's weird."

"Not my problem, you think that," Jamal said. "She's staying."