Entry One

Today Sam woke up bright and early. The sun was shining through her windows' white-laced curtains. The sound of her fan blowing against the wall calmed her. She walked around her room doing her best not to step on the wrong spot. If her father heard the floor creak it would wake him and he would be outraged. She practiced every day to memorize the certain cracks and shapes in the ground that made noise. Holding her breath while tiptoeing around her bedroom, she finally made it to her closet. Sam got dressed quickly and efficiently. She turned to look at the time-it was 5:30 am. Today is her birthday, she is turning 9. July 24th was always a sunny and beautiful day for Sam. Heading downstairs Sam taught herself a trick. If she slide down the railing she wouldn't have to worry about the steps making noise. It's always hard for her to hold on and keep her balance but she usually makes it work. Sam made it to the kitchen and started to brew coffee. Her father was always in a better mood if he smelled coffee when he woke up. Sam decided to sneak outside on the front lawn. She had a friend next door. His name was Ryan. Quietly opening the door she runs outside hoping for him to be there. He always wakes up at 5:30 am with Sam so they can chat before her father wakes up. He has a daily alarm set for 6:30 am. He hates being woken up before that time. Ryan was peeking out of his window and ran outside to see Sam. 

"Mornin' Sam!" Ryan greeted Sam whispering so her father doesn't hear them talking.

"Hi, Ryan." Sam smiled.

Ryan and Sam talked for a while. Before they knew it, it was time for Sam to go back inside. They said their goodbyes as she eagerly went inside to pour a cup of coffee for her father. Everything was going according to plan. Sam jumped up to grab a mug only for it to slip out of her fingers. The clash of glass against the floor echoed throughout the house. Frightened, Sam grabbed the glass and tried to throw it away as fast as possible. Her hands had cuts. She grabbed another mug and started to pour coffee.

"Do you mind explaining what that fucking noise was?" a loud voice suddenly came from behind her. Sam was shaking but tried to remain calm. 

"Nothing. I was just pouring you a cup of coffee father" she responded but her voice cracked at the end. Her father glared at her, watching her pour the coffee. A blood stain appeared on the mug.

"So you're okay with me drinking from that dirty cup?" her father complained, "woke me up 8 minutes before my alarm goes off, and now you want me to drink from dirty dishes?" he started to lecture. Her father grabbed Sam.

"I think you know what is gonna happen now?" He tossed her into the kitchen closet. The closet had dead rodents and expired food. The smell made Sam dry heave and choke. She heard the sound of keys jingle. Every time Sam gets into trouble she is locked into the closet for an hour or more. She doesn't complain or beg for forgiveness because it only makes it worse. She heard the door lock and patiently waited for his footsteps to fade. After a few seconds, she pressed her face against the crack of the door-trying to inhale as much fresh air as the door would let her. 

The door unlocks. Her father doesn't even look at her. He sets a cup in front of her and walks away.

"Drink it" he demands and walks out to the living room. Sam grabs the cup. Her hands are sweaty and cold. She takes in the clean air but as quietly as possible so he doesn't hear her breathing. Sam's father despises hearing her breathe. She lifts the cup and notices the collection of bugs and other unknown species mixed in with the water. She quickly finished the cup and set it in the sink. Sam holds her hand over her mouth trying not the gag or make any noise over the sink. Sam walks out the back door. She runs as far as possible to vomit. 

"Are you okay?" a small voice asked. Sam looked over to see Ryan standing there looking concerned. Sam burst into tears and told Ryan everything that had happened. Ryan was in shock. He offered to help Sam run away. Scared but determined she agreed with him and followed him into the woods. 

The sun was setting and it was getting cold. Sam and Ryan played around and tried to build a fort in the woods. 

"I'm kinda hungry Ryan," Sam whined as her stomach screamed for help. Sam laid back on a tree and closed her eyes. Without planning on it, Sam fell asleep. 

Snap. Sam peels her eyes open and finds herself looking at the night sky. She sits up. 

"Ryan?" she called out. He wasn't there. She looked around frantically and found a note. The note was from Ryan. Sam heard the sound of twigs breaking. She was afraid. Sam shoved the note up her sleeve and laid back down. 

"Sam?" a man's voice echoed in the woods. It was her father. Sam continued to pretend to be unconscious. She was picked up a carried over his shoulder. Sam slowly moved her arm to grab the letter left by Ryan. She opened it. -Left to get snacks, always willing to lend a helping hand.-. Sam dropped the note and watched it fly away. Tears started overflowing but she didn't dare make any sound. Sam was in extreme pain. Hungry, dirty, cold, and in pain. Her hands were still covered in blood from the mug, and her body was bent sideways being carried on her father's shoulder. Despite being extremely uncomfortable. Fear kept her from moving. Sam told herself she would rather sit in pain and hunger and let her father know she is awake. She didn't want to even imagine what would happen then. She wondered where Ryan had gone and why he didn't come back. Sam hoped Ryan was going to be okay.

Dear Diary,

Today I met a boy. He sad his name is Ryan. Papa wus angry at me agen. I got cut on my hand. Ryan fixed it. He took me to his play house to get away from Papa. That was super fun. We played Uno together. Papa fond me. Ryan went to grab snacks. Papa took me home. He was still angry. I hope I have a gud day tomorow.

Lov, Sammy