Chapter I

I awoke to the sound of waves and the smell of morning. The wood of my walls was barely illuminated by the light the poor sun managed to fight through the clouds as fog floated about just beyond my window. Summers are always this beautiful. 

            Slipping into my house shoes, I began to wake by body. I glided over to my pearl-colored wardrobe  and contemplated over what to wear today. After quite a lengthy period of consideration, I decided on a plain, white undershirt to compliment my plain, navy blue dress. I wear this dress on days that I don't expect to remain in my memory-filler days of routine that go right between the important days. The skirt stopped just after my ankles, over which I slid some grey, cotton socks. After tying my baby blue apron around my waist, I climbed down the rickety stairs in between my bedroom and Lee's. He was sitting in the kitchen, enjoying his tea. The non-caffeinated kind, as we didn't need to wake up early, or even necessarily stay awake. During the school months, he drinks a different, more expensive kind-another reason to prefer summer, as I thought of it-though I never quite liked tea. 

        "Good morning, Seven." he turned to look at me. His typically sunken, deep brown eyes seemed a little more awake, and a little more aware than usual, and I might've even been able to see a tiny little trace of a smile on his usually expressionless face. "Morning Lee," I called back, stepping into the kitchen. "You seem rather merry this morning-might there be a reason why?" "Must I have a reason not to appear loathsome?" I suppose he wasn't all  cheer today after all. "No, Lee. Of course not." 

        I sat down across from him at our small white table. It stood out surrounded by our dark wood cabinets and other such furnishings, but I thought it looked nice. On it was a vase I had filled with fresh, deep blue chrysanthemums. The most beautiful flowers in all of Spades and, as far as I knew, the whole world. They matched Lee's vest and polyester pants, of which came down to his mid calf. He wore a loose light shirt underneath his vest, one that told me that he too expected today to be insignificant. 

        I don't mind insignificant days. You can't have outstanding days without mundane ones. However, I am starting to feel that every day is becoming an in-between day. I'm sure once school starts again I'll get over that, but my real concern lies in a farther future. We've only one year left as students, you see. After that, we'll have to start our lives. I think I'll just stay here, on this farm. We've plenty of land, and I adore caring for our animals. I'll perhaps marry, maybe have a child or two, and live the rest of my years in peace and comfort. A safe, satisfied life. I can't help but wonder though, if there is something better in the beyond. Something spectacular hidden in the unknown. I am just a girl, so my restlessness is quite typical. Every student dreams of something extraordinary-of being extraordinary. But like filler days, you can't have outstanding people without ordinary ones. 

      After a brief conversation about the daily chores to be done, me and Lee rose from the table in unison and went about completing our allotted tasks. I first headed to the chicken coop, fastening my boots along the way. It was quite the impressive structure. Lee built it after taking one of our school's industrial classes. It was near half the height of our first story, with a strong fence keeping the chickens in. More importantly, it kept predators out.  

       I swung open the gate and carefully stepped to the nesting area inside a boxlike structure that I couldn't help but paint a heart on. I reached in, and had counted about a dozen eggs when the sound of gears and a little bell startled my hens. I climbed out of the coop and walked to the front of the house to investigate. As I expected, it was Emil, the messenger boy assigned to our portion of the state. He wore a blue uniform and matching hat, with brown shoes and a hat barely covering his messy, platinum grey hair. He had graduated school in the spring, and was hired to deliver word from the government soon after.

     "Are you here to see Lee again?" I asked, as those two seemed quite friendly. "He's probably chopping some wood." "Actually Ms. Seven, I'm here to see you." That was new. "Oh?" I began, "What for? I'm not expecting any letters." He dismounted his bike and pulled a sleek, royal blue envelope out of his carrier. "This comes straight from the palace." He handed me the letter. "You should probably read it soon."

      I called Lee inside, and together we sat in the living room. Emil decided to stick around too, whether out of curiosity, or the prospect of spending time with Lee. I didn't mind. Part of me was concerned that I had forgotten to pay a random tax on the land, or broken some arbitrary law, but deep down I knew it wasn't that. I slid the letter out of it's envelope and was met with the official seal of Spades, sitting behind scrawls of blue ink. At the bottom, I could clearly see the writer's signature, sloppy, but still somehow refined. "It's from Sir Alfred." I announced. "The King?" Emil gasped, his eyes going wide. "Yeah." Lee replied. "Her brother."