Sarah Summers Diary

May 16, 1862

Dear a Diary,
The Southern army has been getting more bold with attacks. Whilst I wondered the woods, a union man had come soon me. I screamed, but, ain't nobody to hear me. One of the other Yanks came to us and yelled, "Let her go! She isn't in a uniform and we don't harm women!" His voice was proud, a man with high authority. The other Yank let me go, it was a good thing too, because I heard gunshots. Not wanting to be shot I ran back to mama. My freed slave friend stays with us, but she pretends to be a slave, so mama won't beat her. Mamumba, she told me her name was. And yes, we have read the Huckleberry Finn books. It is mostly true, but ain't nobody fixin to help me here in the south... It can be lonely at times. Mother is calling me, another dinner with our soldiers. I shan't find a husband with these, animals! Time to wash up, dress and dance... I rather die...

"Sarah! Change that dress young lady! You have a dinner with soldiers tonight! And either you choose one in nine months,mor we choose for you!" A small, portly, woman had yelled to her daughter. "Yes mama, you threaten that every time..." Sarah hated the confederate soldiers that came to her home for a dance, food and a look at beauty. "Mumumba. Can you help me with this?" The freed slave girl nodded and heled tighter the whale bone to the fullest. "Miss Summahs, I does suppose that you ain't partial to them there soldiers. But, it ain't my business, all I says is Follow Yer heart." The woman tied the straps and helped with the dress "Every, time... You make it so, tight!" The girl gasped for air, then got used to it. Fixing up hair long dark hair, placing flowers in it. "You are so kind to me. I'm so glad Mama has no idea your not, a slave..." The tall, well figured girl looked at her reflection and didn't recognize herself. "if this is what a belle does every day, then God strike me where I stand..." "Nah miss, Summahs, you is beautiful." The freed slave woman helped fluff up her hair, then handed her a small box.

"What is this?" The lady opened it, only to find a beautiful necklace. A large sapphire set in silver, with small diamonds surrounding it. "It's, beautiful!" "It was my grandmothers, but, she died and told me to give it to a kind, smart, young people woman. Sos I is." She smiled and put it around Sarah's slender neck. She looked like a really lady now, then wiped tears away, feeling love from her only friend. "Thank you." She hugged Mumumba, and Mumumba hugged back. "Now, let's rent you to smells purty." They looked at the different perfumes, then found the lavender one.

The soldiers had arrived in their uniforms. A sea of grey that made Sarah feel nauseous, worried and terrified. This was the sort of people she opposed, her own homeland made her sick. "I can't breath..." She said to her mother, only to be replied with a cat like laugh. "They are that impressive, eh? Go on! Find a husband!" Her mother pushed Sarah to the men, and she almost fell. One held her up and was kind. "You alright, Miss?" He had gentle, but persistent, hazel brown eyes "Summers, and yes, I'm fine."

Standing up, she noticed he had her hand in his. It was a gentle, but firm grip. "May I have my hand, lieutenant?" The lieutenant let Sarah go, then sighed, "Forgive me, shall we go somewhere more quiet? Not to be a rapist. Just to talk, perhaps outside?" Sarah thought for a moment, then agreed. Mumumba stayed at a distance, just to be sure.

"I can tell your not a reb..." She picked up a flower and smelt it. "What gave me away?" He asked, sitting on a tree stump "Your accent. You ain't no southern boy, but, you are handsome." Sarah blushed, sitting next to him. "Well, the men in there arnt from the south actually. We are all the 8th Main regiment. Trying to win this war over... Please, miss--" Sarah interrupted him, "Sarah... My name, is Sarah." She softly smiled, as he smiled. "Sarah, please stay out of the town. I don't want you to get hurt..." She touched his shoulder "I'll be fine.. Because I know your trust worthy." He lieutenant placed his hand over hers. "Sarah is an interesting name. Mine is, Samuel. Samuel Cain." She smiled a happy and in joy. It had been the first in a long time. "I've, never been this close to a Nothern boy before..." She looked away blushing. He gently turned her chin to look at him. "There's a fort, not far from here. The creek in the woods. Down by the meadow, I'm stationed there... If you need to talk, that's where I'll be."

Sarah giggled, "That's where I deliver goods!" She burst out laughing. Mumumba smiled in happiness, her life long friend was falling in love. With a union boy. "I hopes them children grows up happy and healthy." She caught a glimpse of them, Sarah's hand in his. Mumumba turned her head, allowing them the privacy. "I've, never felt this way before..." Sarah was stunned to find that she loved him. "It's been a while since I loved a woman like this."

~After the party~

This night was wonderful! I met the most amazing man, and to my amazement, it was a Blue Belly no less. I think, this is who I was meant to be with... It's late, I'm bedding down.

~Sarah Summers