Skepticism

Chapter 1 – Week before school

"Savana, stay away from those girls you keep calling your friends" my grandpa said. It was a rainy day. Me and my grandpa were drinking tea and my best friend just left my house. Her name was Deloris. Me and Deloris go back. We have been friends since grade one. "Grandpa what are you talking about?" My grandpa is not the most trusting person. He is quite the opposite. He tends to believe everybody is a bad person. He sat and stared at the living room floor. Staring at our white and black patterned rug. A living room is a particularly important room. Its where all the family bonding happens. Ours was plain and simple yet we had a ton of décor pieces to decorate the room up. He took three large sips of his tea before going on any further. I try not to rush my grandpa when he is talking. I have noticed that he often tends to take a pause to think about what he is going to say before he says it. I patiently drank my tea listening to the sounds of rain beating against my window. I was a summer girl not much of a fall person but there is something about the sound of rain beating against my window "a friend today can be an enemy tomorrow." I almost rolled my eyes. My grandpa had severe trust issues with people, and he always said this statement. Sometimes he would say it without even saying those actual words. "Grandpa, I have known Dolores since Grade one, I think you might be overthinking this." I say trying to sound kind and not like a brat. "Fake people don't care about history they don't care about how long they've known you for they only care about what matters to them and what they want in that moment." For better and some for worse. I sat there processing what he was trying to tell me, and I did not want to believe anything he wanted to say to me. I trust my friends and I trusted Dolores there was no way I would think that she would betray me what was my grandpa talking about? "I just know," said my grandpa. We finished our last few sips of tea, and I was enjoying the sounds of the beautiful rain. After I could tell my grandpas cup was empty, I went ahead and washed the dishes along with my cup as well. My mom was at work, and I have no clue where my grandma was, she went for a walk. The next morning, I was getting ready for the first day of school. My hair was already flat ironed down the night before. It was sad that I had always felt the need to flat iron and straighten my naturally curly hair. Its just that currently it is quite honestly a flex to have perfectly straight hair and it annoys me that I do not love and embrace my curly hair, but it is one of my biggest insecurities. My best friend whose name is Amber has naturally very straight hair, yet she continues to flat iron it. My other friends, Hellen, Gillen, Kristina, all flat iron their hair. In fact, so does Delores from time to time. The only friend of mine who does not use any hot tools on her hair is my friend Valorie. She does not wear any makeup, never does her hair, never dresses up, in fact she is the simplest one out of us all. One thing about her that God has absolutely blessed her with is her beautifully perfect and straight white teeth and she had perfect the most perfect smile ever. It was utterly amazing to see.

Chapter two – school starts

After I was done my hair, I did my makeup but there really was not much point since the covid19 pandemic is the reason we all wear masks now. I did sort of just the top part of my face and threw on my mask. This covid19 stuff is annoying and every-time I wear a mask it suffocates my soul and its very annoying. Well, whatever though because I am still pushing through. I look outside my window, and it does look like a bit of a cloudy and chilly day. Which is why I am grabbing my black hoodie. As soon as I got to school and figured out who was me in classes and what classes I had exactly gotten, I was disgusted to say the least. I did not have anyone I knew in my classes it was all random people who were so weird. I saw this one girl though and something was telling me to talk to her. She reminded me of someone, but I could not tell at all since she was wearing a face mask. Thanks corona. I sat in my chair looking around. I cannot believe I was sitting in a science class so early in the morning. My teacher was this bald guy with glasses. Very typical I thought for a science teacher. I genuinely believe science teachers just do not grow hair and have the worst vision. Its just facts at this point and the teachers at this school only seem to further prove my point to be correct. I sat in my seat analyzing everyone. My hands were a bit sweaty, and I was nervous. I barely knew anyone except for the girl who came and sat beside me since I had known her since last year. I ended up just getting off my chair and I walked to the back of the classroom where this mysterious girl was sitting. "Hi, you remind me of someone" I admit it was an odd thing to randomly say to a stranger who has no clue who I was. "What really?" she seemed genuinely interested in me and I could tell she also seemed that she knew me in one way or another. "Yeah, what's your name?" I asked her. "My name is Felisha." "My name is Savana" I reply. "Well do you know anybody in this class?" I ask her. "Well not really but I do know Ethan." It was then that I had suddenly noticed Ethan sitting right there. It was weird it was as if the entire world was a blur around her when I spoke to her. Mind you, I did not even have a clue on who this girl was or even what she looked like for that matter anyway. "Oh, Hi Ethan how have you been?" Ethan was that guy he was not even actually a guy. He was extremely feminine, and every single person thought he was gay. Nobody knew if he was gay, but he walked, talked, and acted like a girl. His friends were also all females. He did not have any man friends well he did, I guess. Do you see why its complicated? Ethan is honestly one of the best people. Or at least that is what I believe based on what he has shown me. He is fun to be around and is the life of the party. He makes everybody feel comfortable around him. Which is admirable since few people can do that. Ethan is short and he has long black hair that is cut to the side. Its shiny and moves with him for example whenever he nods or shakes his head, the hair moves with him. "I'm good Savana, how are things with you and your boyfriend?" I really hoped I was not blushing when I answered. "we're good" I responded. I was not a huge fan of talking about my relationship as if it were nothing special and that it could just be discussed in such a casual manner. For me that was not the vibe. Any questions I get about me and the person who I am dating will either just not be answered or will be answered very broadly. The main question I get is "how are things with you and your person," to be completely honest with you, people tend to ask that question to couples because of two reasons. They either one, care about how things are going which is rare because let me be the one to tell you that nobody cares about how happy you are with someone because most people can not stand seeing couples happy especially if they themselves are single. The second reason they ask you is just asked to see if you have broken up yet and want to know if you are single. So, when someone and it does not matter who but when someone asks me that question these two reasonings that will cross my mind. After awkward small talk, I go back to my seat and text my boyfriend.