Alive

He fell in love with him when they were still kids

          He fell in love with him when they were still kids. They lived in the same neighborhood in the quietest district of Seoul. The streets were narrow and dirty, littered with trash and puddles from water that had been evaporated by the sun. But to them, it was beautiful. They'd play tag all day long, giggling like idiots as they threw rocks at each other and chased each other around a huge empty lot. He always thought he would grow up like the boys who played soccer on the street, with big muscles and a cool jersey. Instead, though, he just grew into a little boy who was affectionate and soft for his best friend.

          It happened slowly but surely. They spent a lot of time together. He went over there after school, and they played on the field, sat under a tree, and talked. Sometimes he even read books to him. They were happy and content. Their days were filled with good memories and laughter.

          You can't say that Huening Kai was rich, but his life was above average. It was nice and easy. It was what he'd wanted. And so the beautiful friendship between him and Soobin continued. For years. You'd see how Huening Kai was always playing and running around joyfully with the other boy if you took a peek into his yard. They rarely used to fight, and if they did, it was just a little squabble. Can't say about Soobin, but for Huening Kai one pout on the older's lips was always enough to soften his heart and make him forgive his friend immediately. The older's smiles lit up an entire room, he couldn't stay mad at him for long.

          As time passed and they grew up more, Huening Kai started noticing that something was wrong with his feelings towards his precious best friend. He couldn't quite explain it, he had no idea what was going on inside his heart or head, but he knew that he wanted to spend every single second with him and shower him with love. His heart fluttered when he saw him smile. His cheeks heated up every time his friend called him cute. And whenever their eyes met, his heartbeat would pick up immediately and he wanted to crawl into a hole to hide away from all those butterflies and warmth. But most importantly embarrassment. It was their late teenage years when he realized that he was in love with him indeed, that he couldn't stay just friends with him, so one day, he confessed. We can't say that he was the most courageous person when it used to come to relationships and love, but he knew someone else could snatch the boy away from him if he didn't discuss his feelings with him on time.

          It happened at late night in spring. They were in Soobin's yard and colorful flowers were surrounding their bodies like a beautiful cage. Huening Kai was waiting for the older's answer, but Soobin's silence seemed to last forever and a serious expression on his face was freaking out the boy. Huening Kai didn't know what he'd do if Soobin rejected him and cut all his connections with him, probably, he would disappear from Seoul and maybe even from the earth if that happened. He was on the edge of losing his sanity when he saw that a sudden tug on Soobin's mouth made his lips twitch upwards and the younger's heart skipped a beat. Soobin's hazel eyes were staring at him with an unreadable and somewhat joyful gaze through his blonde bangs and enjoying the way an obvious panic was taking over the boy's face.