at last

a/n ~ it's been a while... but unfortunately i'm still on this app so in honor of summer i've resolved to finish this fanfic

"Ma Lo'ak!" I shouted, my air bubble allowing me to speak underwater. "Lo'ak?!"

Suddenly, two strong hands grasped my waist from behind. I gasped slightly as I was grabbed back. 

"Lo'ak!" I exclaimed joyfully, seeing his face. He immediately pulled me into a relieved embrace. I gasped again seeing Neteyam and Jake Sully appear behind him, both looking exhausted.

"Is everyone okay?" I asked.

Lo'ak gave me a thumbs up.

Holding his hands in mine, I kicked up powerfully to the surface. The moment his head broke free above the water, he started gasping for air.

"Breathe, breathe!" I exclaimed, putting my hands on his shoulders. After a moment, his breathing slowed. I spotted Neteyam and Jake doing the same. A split second later, Kiri, Neytiri, and Tuk all emerged from the water's surface.

"Tuk! Mom! Kiri!" Neteyam shouted as he splashed over to them. Jake followed, pressing his forehead against Neytiri's.

The bright golden tadpoles swirled around our little reunion, lighting up the water in a thousand colorful shades. As Lo'ak's breathing returned to normal, they separated into two sides around Kiri and I. 

Seeing the rippling glow around Lo'ak, I allowed myself to smile a little bit.

"Glad we're all alive." 

He marveled at me with his gaze. "I thought you died."

"Same."

"What? You thought you died?"

"I did die."

He began laughing. "That's confusing."

"I guess I came back to life. I had to know if you survived."

He looked surprised. "Me?"

"No, dumbass, my Tulkun. Yes, you!"

"So... you brought yourself back to life to see me?"

"Don't flatter yourself. I had to come back to my village and Tsireya too."

"Oh." He looked embarrassed. I blushed.

"But I was only thinking about you."

He perked up again. "Really??"

"Yeah. I was thinking about you because... I realized if I died, I'd never be able to tell you."

"Tell me what? I have something to tell you too."

My heart skipped a beat. "Go ahead."

"No, you go ahead."

I glanced down at all the shimmering mystical creatures around us and knew what I had to do.

"I think... you're not that much of an idiot anymore, Lo'ak. I guess." That was my way of saying I like you.

He looked up and chuckled softly to himself. "Funny. I still think you're an idiot."

"What?!"

"I'm kidding!" He put his hands up in surrender. My attention drew away from him as I watched Neytiri, Jake, Tuk, Neteyam, and Kiri all leave the water. Neteyam was talking to Tsireya on a rock island. I locked eyes with her, she glanced between Lo'ak and I, and nodded. A second later, P'lei and Payakan rose out of the water and Tsireya signaled for everyone to get on. I saw Tuk point to us and ask something related to 'aren't they coming?' but Tsireya shook her head and ushered her away.