i have found you in this life

„In another life, i think i
would have really liked
just doing laundry
and taxes with you"

I HAVE FOUND YOU IN THIS LIFE

CHAPTER 2

Aki: You know, one thing I liked about you was that you were easy to read—an open book.

Francis giggled.

Francis: Oh really? There were a lot of things you didn't know about me.

Aki raised an eyebrow.

Aki: Like what?

Francis: I used to be in love with you.

Aki: Oh, I knew that.

Silence settled between them as they walked across the bridge.

Francis: Well, that's awkward.

Aki let out a small chuckle.

Aki: Yeah, but you never told me. Why?

Francis: Because I knew you weren't in love with me.

The silence deepened.

That familiar, suffocating feeling crept back into Aki's chest—guilt. It gnawed at him, growing heavier by the second.

Francis: I knew you, Aki. You were an open book to me too.

She paused, as if choosing her words carefully.

Francis: You had your eyes set on someone else.

Francis: The way your eyes lit up when he walked into the room... Those were the rare moments when you looked at peace, like you could finally let go of the weight you carried.

Aki didn't respond. What could he say? She was right. Francis had always had a way with words, as if she could unravel his heart with just a few sentences, exposing feelings he hadn't even acknowledged himself.

Francis: Speaking of Angel, how is he? Did you ever confess?

Aki: Yeah, I did. Finally, after months of hesitation.

A small smile flickered on his lips.

Aki: We've been together for three months now...

Aki paused, reflecting.

Aki: It's amazing, honestly. Waking up every morning with him next to me, cooking together, going out for a night wal—

He stopped mid-sentence. Night walks had been their thing—his and Francis's. This place belonged to them, even now. Whenever Aki walked through this area, it felt like he was strolling alongside her ghost.

In the dead of night, after waking from a nightmare, she had been the first person he'd call. And she'd always pick up.

It hit him suddenly—he'd never asked her why she was always awake at midnight. He'd never questioned the exhaustion that slowly dulled the sparkle in her eyes. She was growing tired, day by day, and he hadn't even noticed.

Maybe that's how foolish we are as humans, he thought. We realize things too late. Always too late.

Aki: It was one of those nights, you know? I had another nightmare. Angel was sleeping next to me, but it made me feel so sick, I didn't want to wake him.

His voice grew quieter.

Aki: I tried calling you, but you didn't answer. And I was so angry because you always picked up. I couldn't believe you didn't.

He swallowed hard.

Aki: It took me a minute to remember... You were gone.

Francis laughed lightly, as if imagining him furiously dialing her number, forgetting for a moment that she was no longer there.

Francis: I'm glad you didn't forget me—just my death.

Aki chuckled, but he felt like crying. The emotions swirled inside him, threatening to overflow, but he pushed them down. He couldn't allow himself to break. Not now.

(182 days before Francis's passing)

Francis: Lying down, staring at the clouds... it's so relaxing.

Aki let out a dreamy sigh.

Aki: Yeah, it really is.

Francis: Can't wait to get married, grow old with someone, and just lay around watching the clouds drift by.

Aki: Bet you won't even make it to fifty.

Francis: Shut up, Aki.

They continued walking, but Aki stopped when they arrived at that place. The last time they had spoken had been right here.

There was nothing Francis could do to ease the pain. She knew it hurt him as much as it hurt her.

She stood at the bridge's edge, looking down at the river. The moonlight shimmered on the water, casting a gentle glow over the scene.

Francis turned and looked at him.

Francis: Maybe some dreams are meant to stay dreams.

She smiled softly, but her words carried a weight that hung between them.

Her dream—of him loving her back—was one that would stay a dream, at least in this life. Perhaps in another life, or in some parallel universe, he'd fall in love with her instead. In that world, he'd hold onto her hand and never let go.

In this life, though, Francis had always been the one to find him, to save him, time and time again. And Aki had made her a promise—a promise that next time, he would save her.