chapter 1

My life is a mess, I can't clean.

The morning light shone through the shear, cheap curtains of my lonely apartment. I tried to roll over to the other side of the bed to block it out.

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep

The sound of my phones alarm prevented me fromgetting that last ounce of sleep I needed. I rolled back over to the blindinglight of the dawn and reached for my phone, how could it already be six, I fellasleep only a moment ago? My phones' sleep tracker clued me in that I had onlyfallen asleep at four that morning. I felt horrible. I pulled my shirt over mymessy hair and looked over at my sleeping girlfriend still snoring with herarms around a pillow. I headed for the kitchen that was no more than ten feetfrom my bedroom. I had forgotten to set my coffee pot the night before, great. Iknew that she would want something to drink once she woke up, so I made her favoritetea in our coffee pot. I walked back tomy bedroom and pulled my clothes out of my closet, I simple pair of rough jeansand a blue polo shirt the read, "Jameson, robotics. INC" the shirt was mildlystained with coffee and energy drinks, but the company didn't care much for how we were dressed unless we were giving a speech of some kind. I went to the bathroom to try and tame the wild hair I had woken up with, and to brush my teeth. I looked in the broken cloudy

"I'll do it later" I told myself defeatedly, but later never came. I walked out to my kitchen. I had one clean bowl left for my breakfast, the cheapest cereal the store had, it tasted awful but that was a given. I sat alone on my couch with no sound other than the sound of the street below me. I went back to my bedroom. I looked in my dresser, no clean socks. I grabbed a pair out of the dirty clothes, which was just a pile on the floor at the foot of my bed, they weren't matching. I searched around my bed for my shoes, they were cheap and falling apart but I couldn't afford new ones. The mirror with my hairbrush in hand and took a deep breath. The hair was the easy part but brushing my teeth a whole different story. I gave myself a wide smile flashing my yellow teeth, why was it so hard to brush them? I picked up the toothbrush, but it felt like it weights a hundred pounds, forcing me to give up.frayed lases made it far harder for me to tie them than they normally would but I made dew. I was already trying my hardest to breath from just walking around my small apartment but luckily, I had my few choices of mobility aid, each one depending one how much help I would be needing that day or where I would be happening to be going. I knew that today was not going to be easy for me at all so my cane wouldn't help. I thought about using my forearm crutches that were a very thoughtful gift from my girlfriend for my birthday, they as something that would help with my iron, my girlfriend's vegetable beef soup, she was such a good cook and I loved her so much. I sat my lunchbox on the countertop and placed my two energy drinks for the day inside it and zipped it back up. I rolled myself back into the bedroom once more and grabbed my phone and headphones off my nightstand. She was still sleeping with her hair a mess and limbs just sprawled out about the bed, her favorite dragon stuffed animal laying half-hazard-ly on her chest. I rolled over to her side of the bed and kissed would help a little, but I would still be struggling, considering how much walking I would have to do today. I considered my last option, my wheelchair. It was my best option, but I had never used it around this shift, they had only ever seen my use my cane and forearm crutches. I knew I needed the wheelchair today; I was having a flair day and needed the support. I grabbed my cheap wheelchair from the back of my apartment, and plopped into it with a sigh, getting off my feet felt amazing even if I had only been up for a little bit. I wheeled myself over to my fridge and grabbed an energy drink, I know they aren't good for me raising my heart rate and all, but I need the energy to deal with the people at my job. I had a prepacked lunch in the fridge as well, it wher forehead.

"I'm going to work, love you." She opened her eyes for only a moment before rolling back over and taking the entire comforter to herself. Before leaving out the door I grabbed my portable heating pad and my keys. I was lucky that we lived on the bottom floor though getting to the car was going to be harder than usual. I tried to propel myself through the gravel, but it only wore me out.

"Oh! let me help you out there, sugar." One of the many other tenants was kind enough to ask if I needed help.

"That would be wonderful, Ms. Bangee." Ms. Bangee was by far the nicest neighbor in that whole apartment building, and I was so thankful for her. She wheeled me over to my small car and even loaded my wheelchair into the back of my car for me.

"Thank you Ms. Bangee I'll make sure to give you some more of Sam's bread, 'aight?" I wanted her to know I was going to pay her back for helping me so much.

"Ooh, make sure it's the garlic bread dear!" she loved the garlic bread Sam made and she showed it. She walked away back towards the main office with a smile on her face.

I turned the key in the ignition and the motorstarted with a vrrr. The carsradio blared a tell-tale sign I wasn't the last the drive it. i turned it down for the sake of not going deaf.