It's Halloween, My Dear

Author's Note: Finishing up an old one-shot I started. Not really too eventful in terms of plot, and it's very short. I dunno, maybe I'll edit it more later on, but we'll see. I hope to get back to writing these more. Enjoy.

       "Happy Halloween, little children," the tall rabbit spoke, his deep voice almost unheard. The children thanked him for the candy and walked away, a little nervous of the yellow-orange rabbit they spoke to. While friendly, his anti-social issues make others a little nervous around him, especially his deep voice, way of talking, and the lack of pupils on his mask, with that large smile. Given the location of his house (the middle of the flippin' woods just outside town), he has few visitors, so social practice is far and few between. He closed the door and turned around, looking at all of the Halloween decorations he has set up against his (ugly wallpaper-ed) walls. His partner, Sha, was a sheep almost as tall as him but not quite, and was dressed up as a witch. If it wasn't obvious, Halloween is their favorite holiday.

"Quite early for trick-or-treating, it barely hasn't hit five," the witch said, carving up a rotund pumpkin on their kitchen counter for decoration. 

"The earlier children receive the best candy," the Pumpkin Rabbit responded, making his way to the counter. He grabbed a knife and pushed it into a fresh pumpkin, dragging it through the pumpkin's hardened skin to form a triangular shape. With a few twists of his wrists and stabbings of the pumpkin, he made a nice jack-o-lantern for him to set outside the house. Sha walked up behind him and placed her hands on his shoulders, looking at his work. 

"You've always had a way with craving, you know that?" She said, planting a kiss on his neck afterwards. The two had been together for a while, and their presence throughout town was quite known. They were known for going all-out on Halloween; massive decorations, many, many pumpkins, and they even hosted a Halloween event in town. 

"My knife does the work. I simply follow," he responded, placing the knife down next to his freshly carved pumpkin. Despite their wacky events throughout the years, they decided that they would take it down a notch this year. They decided they would simply do a "casual Halloween" this year. Sha softly laughed at his response and grabbed their candy bowl in response to someone knocking on their door. She opened the door and was greeted by two kids; a yellow duck with a sheet over their body, and a purple cat with a fake cleaver in their head. 

"Trick or treat!" They both said in unison, holding out their bags. 

"Well, look at you two. Aren't you both the most adorable little trick-or-treaters?" Sha asked with a gleaming smile. "We have plenty of candy for you." She reached into her bowl and grabbed a handful of candy, dropping it into each of their bags. The kids thanked her for the candy and walked away with a proud smile, clearly satisfied with the amount of candy they bagged this night. "Be safe, you two!" She sheep called out while waving, stepping back inside and closing the door. She set the bowl down and walked into the living room, seeing her rabbit laid back and relaxing on the couch. 

She slowly laid down next to him and leaned into him, resting her head on his shoulder as he put his arm around her. "I love this time of year," she said quietly, placing a hand on his chest. 

"I can tell," he said. 

"Like you don't." 

"Maybe."

"Uh-huh," she sat up and looked down at the rabbit. "Wasn't it you who hosted the town banquet for Halloween 2 years ago?" She said in a playful, yet accusatory tone.

"Alright, alright. You're right, my dear. I may love Halloween," he reached his hand out and placed it on his wife's cheek, causing her to smile. He got off of the couch and made his way to the television. He grabbed a VHS tape and inserted it into the player, and then sat back down next to Sha. The movie took a few seconds to pop on. It's a movie about a killer with a white mask that's loose in a town full of trick-or-treaters, a classic amongst horror movies. 

"Happy Halloween, my love," she said, leaning up to kiss his cheek.

"Happy Halloween, my dear," he said, putting an arm over her witch-wife as they both relaxed, enjoying what is most obviously their favorite time of the year. Together.