❦︎ Beginning Of The Downfall ❦︎

RAENI

RAENI

I woke up the day she returned feeling a churn in my stomach. I couldn't even eat and Stefano was getting worried.

"Do you think we should go to the doctor?" He said, playing with my food as well.

"No, I'm really okay. Its just..." I didn't know if I could say it. I thought maybe it would've sounded stupid.

My eyes found his from across the table, already looking at me with a cloud of worry. The window cried silently, the thunder sobbing above us. He searched through my eyes for a problem, my sentence hung in the silence between us. 

"What is it?" His voice softened with his touch.

I just couldn't respond. My mouth opened before I closed it with no answer. I just could feel it that day that something bad was about to happen to me. Why I felt that way, I don't know really. I could just feel my stomach turning, the churn of nothing in my gut.

"I feel it." I slipped out.

"Feel what?" He subconsciously took my hand in his, rubbing it comfortingly.

"Something. Very bad." I swallowed down the thick lump in my throat. I couldn't think of anything else besides him.

What if he comes back and threatens to kill all my friends? What if he kills them and leaves me all alone? Alone with him, but still alone. Lonely is more the word. My heart rate licked up and I couldn't breath. I was gasping for air. A dull noise of chairs scraping against the floor beat against my ear drums. I clawed at the table for a breath, a single breath. Something to relieve my restricting lungs. I felt as though possibly I could be drowning.

Not by water, by stress. Anxiety gripped my throat harshly and submerged me deeper into my pitiful worry.

"Rae." Stef turned my face to his and calmy smiled at me. "Listen to me. Look at me. Focus on me."

"I'm—" I couldn't even tell him I was trying. I shut my eyes close.

"Open your eyes and focus on me, please." He sounded on the verge of tears as well. His strained voice came through to my ears but I was still deep under.

He grabbed my hand and placed it on his chest. I could feel his heart, calmly beating. My eyes beginning to water.

All I need is one breath. One single breath.

He lifted my t-shirt, technically his, and rubbed my back gently. I soon began to calm my water tides.

"Listen to my heart." He demanded softly as he rubbed my back.

Up and down. Slowly and gently.

"Think of home."

It was all he needed to say before my heart began to calm down and the sea raging in my head with thoughts began to simmer down. I saw the trees. I saw the people. I saw home. I saw mom. I saw her smile. I saw her toes in between the sand. I saw everything I wished to have right now. When I breathed in, I smelt the fresh crisp air of Jamaica.