66 • A Vacation

Yokohama was a breath of fresh air. Literally.

It has only been a day since the Hokusei sisters 'ran away' to Yokohama, and Reina has already started to relax, finding the time and emotional stability needed to sort out her thoughts. Mirai, at the same time, was having a blast taking pictures of the new environment.

But while Yokohama was nice and all, there was a reason why Reina chose this city, of all places.

Yokohama was in Kanagawa, and Reina needed to sort out her mind in the one place where she had created mass murder. That was why she carried white chrysanthemums into the hotel, not leaving even a single footprint on the dusty floor as she climbed up the stairs. She pretended she didn't notice she was being followed.

"Are you familiar with the urban legend about the Emerald Killer of Kanagawa Hotel?"

Not sparing the stranger a glance, Reina continued to watch the burning chrysanthemum bouquet in her hand. The stranger didn't seem to mind her silence as he rambled on, "Around a year or so ago, on a stormy night, many men were found dead inside the hotel basement. The scary thing is, they weren't just dead," he said with far too much enthusiasm for someone talking about a carnage.

"They were massacred."

He snickered, looking at the walls as if the blood was still there. Reina knew it wasn't though. The hotel had, after all, been thoroughly cleaned. "There are many variations to the story, but I heard the most factual one is how their lower and upper body were separated, their organs and bones scattered around, and how their faces had been destroyed beyond recognition." Again, Reina ignored the bloody details. After all, she knew how the rest of the story went. "Nobody knows what happened, but the police found an emerald stuck in a separated eyeball, that's why they called the killer the emerald killer."

Still snickering, he shrugged as if he wasn't telling a creepy urban legend to someone who was burning flowers in an abandoned hotel meeting room at midnight, unprompted. "After such a thing, no wonder this hotel went bankrupt, don't you agree?"

"Who knows."

It seemed like the urban legends had gone out of control in the span of two years because first of all, there were only three people whose upper and lower bodies had been separated. Most of them were either decapitated or shredded to more than two pieces with a chainsaw. Second, they weren't found in the basement. The murder happened in the soundproof meeting room they had rented. Third, they called the killer the 'Emerald Killer' because green eyes were caught by a camera seconds before it was destroyed.

"Since it was abandoned, this became a favorite hiding spot for delinquents. Only the ruling gang of Kanagawa gets to claim this place as theirs."

Reina, of course, ignored his rambles, more focused on watching the flowers burn gloriously before dropping the bouquet onto the dusty ceramic floor, letting the fire slowly die on its own.

Even now, she couldn't say that she regretted killing them. Perhaps there were better ways than to grab the first weapon she saw—a chainsaw near the then half-finished pool—and go absolutely apeshit to the point the events of that night were a blur even to her. But when she remembered how she had just gotten slapped by Ryou's betrayal, found Harui drugged and shot, fought off hired assassins, and then watched as her brother went flatline multiple times before miraculously surviving, finding her sister missing was the last straw.

"Are you satisfied?" The stranger crumpled the bouquet to ashes as he stood in front of her. "So, who were you mourning for?"

"What made you assume I was mourning?" The window she had opened beforehand was big enough to jump out of, and she could survive falling four stories. Engaging in an 'idle' conversation with this 'stranger' would be fine.