Chapter 1: Outbreak

As soon as Liam heard about the outbreak overseas, in Japan, he made us pack everything. Everything we would ever need in a zombie apocalypse. He paid for 3 of his friends in Australia and England to fly to far away America. Once the plane had arrived, they made everyone stay there. No one was going in or out. So we continued packing. Only the essentials. I grabbed a light-weight backpack. Inside I put the things I absolutely needed to live. Granola bars, bottled water, three shirts, in addition to the one I was wearing, two pairs of shorts, and one pair of pants. I also strapped a heavy, warm cargo jacket to the outside. Who knows how long we'd be out there. It's late September, chilly, so I put on an oversized sweater. I wear my hiking boots, figure they will be the most affective. I grab like, 35 tampons, a toothbrush and toothpaste, a miniature hairbrush, and some shampoo. On last minute thought I add a pair of thick socks. Even thought it's only September I'm confident we'll be gone for most of winter.
"Dallas!", Liam calls from downstairs. I quickly close my back and rush down the steps. Liam already has his huge hiking bag packed, and is starting to add food, water purifiers, and make- shift shelter to the back.
"Why are you bringing the big tent, Liam?" I ask. He stays silent for a minute while he lifts the heavy pack with ease onto his shoulders.
"We're meeting up, with the cube guys." He sounds like he was afraid to tell me that. I'm not sure if he should be. I don't really know how to feel about this. So I just nod. I'm relieved it won't be so lonely, but I don't wanna have to lose more people. Me and Liam's parents were killed 7 years ago in a previous outbreak. That one only lasted 2 weeks, but the scientists were positive this one would last far longer. Our parents always told us that if they died from the zombies, we should start digging an underground shelter immediately. I was only 8 at the time, too weak and too full of grief to help. But Liam slaved away at the ground 12 hours a day, everyday for 3 years to make us a shelter. He spent the next year stocking it with everything we could need. It was huge. 60 feet long and 60 feet wide. It had stone floors and clay walls, and our tent would fit inside, sleeping bags too.
"Listen to me Dallas.", Liam says, lifting my chin so in looking at him. "All the cube guys, oh and Bee are at the airport, and they're letting people go. I'm going in the van to get them. According to the CVC they are still no signs of them here. I want you to stay in the bunker until I come home. I have a walkie talkie that connects to the TV and speaker system down there. I will be back in an hour. Ok?" It's a lot to take in. I hold back tears, and nod at him. He pulls me into a hug.
"There's a gun down there, Dal."
I hug Liam a little harder. I kiss his cheek.
"I love you. I'll see you soon" I say to him. He held out his hand, a signal that initiates our handshake. A pinky promise into a hip bump. We hop in the van and drive two blocks to wear the bunker is located. He helps me over to the bunker, and makes sure I get down safe. He locks it securely and I hear the van start. He's gone. I check out the bunker, considering it's been about 3 years since I've last been here. There's a security camera for the outside of the bunker door, that will come in handy for when Liam comes home. There's a pantry next to the door, along with a mini fridge. I can't believe Liam had time to put outlets down here. There's a TV, a dresser, with some underwear and socks, and mine and Liam's extra sneakers. Next to that there is a metal shower. Which I decide to use, and stay in for about twenty minutes. I hop out and try my hair and body. I check out the rest of the bunker. There's also a gun locker with three padlocks. Me and Liam are the only ones who know the combos. He also installed a speaker to our TV that announces when the CVC makes updates. The only reason I know that because one played now. "3 people have now been infected in Northern California. We repeat, the infection has spread to the U.S. We advise all citizens to find shelter immediately, and if anyone finds a circular purple-black rash on their hands or feet they may be infected."
Just then, the bunker door opens and I prepare for the worst, I hear feet hit the floor and a familiar voice call out my name.

"Liam!", I exclaim, tears running down my cheeks from my bright blue eyes.
"I know, Dallas. I know" he mutters. He must be talking about the infection in the U.S.
I hear about ten other sets of feet hit the dusty floor.
"Don't be scared, Dal. It's just the guys", Liam says.
"And girl", I hear someone say amidst the crowd of ten people. Liam clears his throat then says,
"Dallas, this is Bee, Mitchell, Zach, Brayden, Devon, Julio, Jordan, Ryan, Will, and Parker". I politely smile, blushing at the amount of attention. I bury my face into Liam's shoulder. Bee yells, "YOUR SO CUTE!" Louder than she should have which makes me blush more. I decide to take the liberty of showing people where to sleep. "You guys can set up your sleeping bags and tents over here.", I say, motioning toward the big open space. Liam and I begin to set up our 4 person tent, while the rest of the gang sets up mostly two people, with one three person. By now it's almost 1 am so we all want to sleep real badly. I shuffle into the big tent with Liam, but he looks at me with his lecture face. All to loudly he begins to say, "Dal I don't really feel comfortable with you sleeping in a tent with two hot guys who are way older than you." I blush so hard I think my cheeks might explode. I just kind of sit there staring at Liam waiting for him to talk. "You can sleep with Bee" he says calmly. Then bee decides to pipe in, "Actually me and Mitchell are already sharing a tent." Liam sighs. He scratches his head, and reluctantly agrees to let me sleep in the big tent. I set my sleeping bag next to Liam, who is sleeping on the wall. Eventually Julio and Brayden end up in our tent. And Liam was right. These boys were so damn hot.