The Father's Love

"What if today was the first day that we met?" she asked him.

"Okay." He said

"I'm so happy to meet you."

...

Madeline could remember what it was like that day 5 years ago, 19 years old and standing at the back of a small bookstore in LA with the man that she loved standing before her. Olly looked at her with sleepy eyes. His hand steady on her waist as he drew her in for a kiss. It was like "I'm so happy to meet you" were the greatest words he'd ever heard her say. What a roller coaster their life had been since then.

Madeline turned over and looked at Olly where he slept on his side of the bed. His lips were parted and his right hand rested on the back of their baby girl, Destiny Joy. From the moment she was born 2 years ago, a new joy had taken over her and Olly.

Madeline finally understood why her mother always responded with, "I love you, I love you more," whenever she told her that she loved her. When she asked why she always said that, her mother responded with, "only when you have kids of your own will you understand."

She got out of bed and scooped up Destiny from where she cuddled with her father so she could move her to her bedroom. As soon as Olly felt the slightest shift, he opened up his eyes. Once he saw Madeline carrying Destiny, a tired smile spread across his face as he relaxed. Madeline couldn't help giving him a full one. His love for his daughter was beautiful.

A father's love.

It was how Madeline encountered the power of the gospel. That God is a God of love and that we love because He first loved us.

She remembered the day she came home to Olly after her first worship service. She was 8 months pregnant and a young lady named Camila invited her one day after her workout at the gym where Madeline had asked her where she got her nails done. As they talked, she couldn't shake that there was something intriguing about this woman. It wasn't just the way she treated her during their conversation. It was as if there was a different type of lightness and beauty to her and Madeline was sensitive to that.

Camila looked her in the eyes and simply said, "God changed my life. He is real and I want everyone to know Him."

Then she handed her a card with a bold name, location and time. She couldn't forget the way River of Life was written in bold, river blue font. It was an invitation to a worship gathering happening the next night.

"You should come," Camila said with a smile. "Let me know if you need a ride!" Then they exchanged numbers. A worship gathering? I don't even know what a worship gathering is! What does it mean to worship!?

But I know that I'm going.

When Madeline came home to Olly that night from the gym and told her about Camila, he looked at her with a steady expressionless face waiting for her to finish talking. Then he went in on her telling her that he couldn't let her raise their daughter into believing in a fairytale.

"Baby, I want to go! Please come with me. Please." She pleaded. In the moment she didn't know what on earth got him to say "yes" but now she did.

It was a new beginning for the both of them. Of knowing The Father's Love.