How it ended

'I knew this day would come.' It started with a mere matchbox she lost not too long ago, something Hana didn't think much of at the time. But now looking back, it was so predictable to the point of being laughable. Who knew such a small detail could lead to the extinction of one of the most prominent noble houses.

Afterall, she did anger the 'hero' of this world in a way.

She wouldn't say she regretted it.

'The warehouse is almost gone.' Looking down from her office, even during this particularly harsh winter, the fire shone brightly, engulfing everything on its path.

"My lady!" The door behind her slammed open.

"Did everyone evacuate?"

"Lady Kanami!"

She looked back at her butler, Ori was her best friend, her life companion, an existence that can't be erased.

She had suffered enough, she had tainted her hands long enough, she deserved to live out her youth, even if Hana herself would not be part of it.

"Ori." Hana turned around. Ori's usual straight blonde hair was disheveled, eyes filled with unusual concern, agitation and a hint of sadness. Her suit jacket was casted aside, revealing a crumbled white dress shirt.

"My lady."

Ori looked at her expectantly, likely looking for an order to go deal with the intruders or take care of the fire, even if it was slightly too late for that.

"The 'heroes' are going to bomb this place soon."

"The more reason to-"

"Go and alert everyone who hasn't escaped to use the secret passage."

Hana went through her documents, picking out the more important ones and placed them on the desk.

"Take them and leave." It was likely that a fifth of the building had already been set ablaze, everything else will soon follow.

Ori seemed to snap out of her dazed, she took long, confident steps towards Hana. Her hazel eyes were filled with conviction and determination.

"One of the first things we were taught" Ori's calloused hand grabbed hers "The master's life is above all else." She placed a kiss on Hana's ring finger. "I'm not leaving without you."

Ahh, this sneaky little-but that was part of her charm and Hana couldn't help but fall for it. Such genuine and raw feelings, something that she didn't deserve.

"Rule 1: You cannot defy the master's order." Hana smiled, gently pulling her hand away.

"But-"

"This is what I deserved, I've lived my part. And someone had to keep those rats at bay anyways." She grabbed Ori's face and gave her a chapse kiss.

"Evacuate anyone who hasn't left, use force if you have to."

Hana pulled out 3 envelopes from her drawer and shoved it at Ori.

"Tell every one of them I wanted them to live out their best lives without regrets. This is my last order to all of you."

BOOM!

"That's your cue, go."

"Hana..." Ori grabbed her hands.

"If I were to die here, bury me underneath the stars, under the shade of the tree we first met. That's all I'll ask of you."

"We could still-" Hana shook her head.

"Take care of the pups for me, alright?"

Hesitantly, Ori sprinted towards the dorms. Leaving Hana behind, humming an old childhood song.

It didn't take long for the arsonists to find her.

"Took you rats long enough."

"Your days are numbered!"

"Oh, I'm aware. You better be fast before the fire gets here." It was getting a bit stuffy, she hoped everyone was safe.

"Don't you dare escape!"

She hoped they didn't burn her corpse.
_____

They met under the Sakura tree.

It felt like a lifetime ago, a time filled with ignorance and innocence. A safe haven, a place filled with childhood memories, a place they could always turn to when everything went downhill, a place to relax and be at peace.

It watched the two of them grow up, but only one of them will grow old.

Cherry Blossoms were always Hana's favorite while she hated white orchids to her core. Yet, Ori brought a bouquet of them here today.

"Hana, you're really mean, you know?" She placed the white orchids on her tomb.

"I brought white orchids today, you never liked them right? Come here and hit me."

Ori didn't realize the tears coming out of her eyes. Even if she did, she didn't care since the one who always wiped them away was gone.

"How can I live in a world without you in it?"

She traced Hana's name on the tombstone.

"How can any of us live in a world without you?"

All the servants of house Kanami will tell you that the Kanamis saved them, one way or another. They vowed their lives for them, they served them and will only serve them until their last breath. But the house was gone and it was hard to move on.

Ori saluted. "I, Ori Jinsei. Vowed to serve Hana Kanami in every lifetime. To obey Hana Kanami and only Hana Kanami to the end of time."

"..."

She laughed. A hearty laugh, she couldn't help herself, even if she wanted to go with her beloved, there were things to be done.

Oh, how cruel of Hana to leave her behind like this.

"It was cheesy, right? I'm sure you wanted to choke me and bring me with you, right? Come here and do that! I know you ain't a coward."

She hoped Hana was at peace. Life was never an easy road for her.