Chapter 1

"Mira, where have you been all this time?" Harris asked.

"I was training for the competition. Is everything okay?" I asked him.

He folded his arms and replied, "Nothing happened; just the leader was looking for you. He wants to discuss something with you."

I started heading towards the leader's office, wondering what he would like to discuss with me. On my way there, I could see young children practicing their defensive magic.

One day, they will master their magic and represent Kasmere, just like me in the grand Exotica Magi competition.

I saw a massive white building, which is also our main headquarters. I entered the leader's office; he was studying the border maps very seriously, as if formulating a strategy.

"Leader, you called," I said.

"Oh, Mira, you're here. Yes, I wanted to discuss something with you. Please, have a seat," he said in a tense tone.

My immediate thought was that there must be some border dispute for him to be so tense.

"As you know, our long-standing dispute with the fire-wielders has continued for years over land that belongs to neither us nor them. They persist in trying to claim it. Another attack was carried out on our mages who were patrolling the area. No casualties so far, but some are being held as hostages," he explained.

Anxiety gripped me; my best friends, Anisa and Harold, were part of the patrolling team that was attacked. I wanted to ask about them immediately but somehow controlled myself.

Anisa and Harold were soulmates. We were childhood best friends, and later on, they discovered that they were mates. I was genuinely happy for them.

Kasmere is the village where all the water-wielder mages reside. We have four elements: we can manipulate water, fire-wielders can control fire and reside in Muidi, Earth-wielders draw power from nature and reside in Faliste, and wind-wielders reside in Hawasha.

I exited the room after discussing a proper plan to rescue our people who were held as hostages by those fire-wielders.

We will depart tonight for the land of Cosole, from where we will execute our plan.