CHAPTER THREE

September 21, 1986

I sit in the front seat of Father Allreds car. We're driving to the Martins house for an exorcism, I don't know why he wanted me to come. I honestly don't think I would be very helpful.
"I don't need to tell you that this assignment is top secret." His voices breaks me out of my mind.
"Yes, sir."
"Based on what I saw during my previous visits...we could be in for a very long night."
"Is this your first exorcism?" He knows it is.
"Yes, Sir."
"Are you afraid?"
"I don't know, Sir."
"That's 'Father' to you."
He paused.
"I'll give you a word of advice: Follow my instructions with exactness. Don't trust what you may see or hear."
We stopped talking after that.

I follow Father Allred inside the house. We were greeted by Mrs. and Mr.Martin.
"Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Martin. This is my assistant, Father Ward."
I gave an awkward nod as a greeting.
"Shall we begin?"
I followed them towards the basement. Mr.Martin stopped us before we went in.
"She's in the back. I had to tie her up."
"I understand. Don't be afraid, Mr.Martin. The Lords servants are here."
"...If you say so."
I stayed silent and followed them into the basement.

Amy?
We made our way to the back of the basement.
Amy was tied to a chair. Yes, Mr.Martin had told us, but it still shocked me. I was to scared to show that I was nervous around Father Allred.
"Hello, Amy?"
Her long, brunette hair perfectly covered all of her facial features. I couldn't imagine any facial features on her. Just, nothing.
She didn't respond to Father Allred.
"Can you hear me, Amy?"
She stayed silent.
"RESPICE AD ME, DAEMONIUM."
This caught her attention. She looked up at the two of us. It wasn't the look a child gives you.
"HELLO, PRIEST."

NO NOT AGAIN.
I woke up in a cold sweat. My breath was weak.

OCTOBER 28, 1987.
3 DAYS UNTIL THE PROFANE SABBATH

I had gotten a letter from Father Garcia.

(make text grey.
"John,

We don't have much time. The Profane Sabbath is almost upon us. If they find Nate and Jason, they will perform a ritual on them to call forth a demon of unspeakable power. The name of the demon is MALPHAS.

I am in the process of discovering their where abouts. I will contact you again soon.

We must not them do to the boys what they did to Amy!
(in center)Father Garcia"

I had already received the next letter by the time I actually opened the first one.

"John,

I can't find Nate or Jason Martin in the state foster care system. It's possible that, after what happened last year, they went to live with relatives.

I will try to find out what I can. Meanwhile, go investigate the clinic where Amy worked. We must find the place where they intend to summon MALPHAS and disrupt their plans!

Vaya con Dios,

(in center)Father Garcia"

I keep on finding notes around my house, they've mostly just been scribbles, but the note I found today actually had words I could comprehend.

"Have you forgotten already?

Things are never quite as they seem. If you can't discern truth from lies, you could try remembering what you know to be true.

Press ESCAPE or the START button to review your notes."

The note reminded me of the note I had found outside the forest. I didn't get it.
Unlike the other notes I had found before, this one didn't disappear or fall apart somehow. I threw it in the trash.
I quickly got changed. I decided to wear my priest uniform. People seem to take me seriously when I'm in uniform and not just in jeans and a shirt. I have a feeling if I want to do anything, I'll need to be taken seriously.
I revved up my cars engine and began my drive to the clinic.